Hood shake problem build dates

• Sponsors (?)

Florida Bob said:
Thanks for the link. What I'm really trying to find out is if Ford has fixed the problem on later build dates.

I know that dam thread is looooong, but if you read through it you can figure out that the early ones have the most shake and the later build dates have less and there hoods are a beach to close without slamming.

I think this issue is still playing out so keep an eye out for a TSB

I for one had mine up to about 125 and hood is solid, but I do have to slam it to close/latch completly. built mid /late March '05

those out there posting your hood status, start informing if you have to slam to close

I don't have to "slam" the hood, if that means applying pressure in addition to letting gravity do the work. However, I would say it closes hard, as it does take at least a two foot drop for it to latch. The first several times I closed it I never dropped it from high enough, as it took more force to latch than I'd anticipated. I just chalked it up to being a light, aluminum hood.

Owner1

145 mph and all was fine, hood was like it was welded to fenders

about 75 miles west of Phoenix on I-10, from 85mph down shifted to 4th and floored it, got close to red line in forth then pulled well into fifth, at aprox. 4500 rpm in 5th and 145-147 mph bounced the rev/speed limiter

temps were in the 90's and no wind, no traffic, the car was very stable upto and for the 3 seconds at it limit, fun but very scary for my licence!

I think this proves that ford can do it right up to it designed limits, if you have hood shake it CAN be fixed (just how and when is the debate)

car was built in late May and hood has to be slammed or have pressure on front edge to close

Car built in Late Dec and the hood shake scares the hell out of me...starting around 80 like everyone else w/that problem, i've touched 120 and was terrified. I'm replacing it with the saleen hood (has the vents) hopefully it'll fair a little better at higher speeds...but until then, SOME dealer has to know a way to fix it b/c i need speeeeed...*sigh*

Try adjusting the stops for the hood. Mine on my '97 were not adjusted right and the hood would shake violently at highway speeds. Close the hood and lift up or wiggle the hood around and you might be able to find whats causing the problem. Don't bother with the dealership, you should be able to fix this yourself with minimal effort.

SLOW 97 said:
Try adjusting the stops for the hood. Mine on my '97 were not adjusted right and the hood would shake violently at highway speeds. Close the hood and lift up or wiggle the hood around and you might be able to find whats causing the problem. Don't bother with the dealership, you should be able to fix this yourself with minimal effort.

I raised the stops already but that doesn't help. The shake continues even though there is absolutely no play after the hood is closed. The car goes into service tomorrow to have the strut bearings replaced and the body shop manager says he has an idea of how to fix the hood shaking problem once and for all. Maybe he's thinking of taking it off and leaving it off. That's one way to fix the d--- thing. :)