Hood shake problem build dates

this might be a bit off subject, but sense you were talking about hood flex I thought about hood pins, and I just wanted to ask, does anyone know if I could get those twist-lock hood-pin deals, and if I can does anyone know of a website that sells them

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Hood Shake Problem

Florida Bob, What did the body shop guy do for you when you took your car in to fix the hood shake on your GT Stang, Ford knows theres a problem with the hood.
I am talking to and working with the head engineer of the PVT MUSTANG TEAM at the Flat Rock Michigan Plant. The last time I talk to him by cell phone they were conducting wind tunnel tests on 5 GT Mustangs. Two out of the five were having a flex or hood hopping problem.
This was over a month ago and have not heard from him since. If I don't hear from him soon I will post his e-mail address and phone number, it's all about money and what it's going to cost Ford to fix the problem. I think they will trace it back to the stamping plant where they are making the hoods. Back about three tears ago they were having problems with the F-150 Pickup's. There were some that had weak side panels that had to be replaced,this was traced back to stamping press.

I have a GT Vert built in Jan - no hood shake at any speed. I also have a GT Coupe built two weeks later than the Vert, stil January, but this thing looks like it is coming off. I had the body shop that installed the vents on it adjust it a couple times but still shakes at about 75mph. By 100 you don't feel safe at all. Lat week I took it in to have the dealer take a look and they won;t touch it on warranty since I "modified" it by installing the vents. So, I guess I'll try adjusting things myself and spending tomorrow doing speed trials - all day :-D

Me 3 - shakey brakey hood

Purchased 05 stang on Dec. 4th '04, not sure of the exact build date. Depending on wind conditions I notice hood the shake problem start anywhere from 80mph on up to 95mph. I live in a desert region and we can get some strong gusts with wind on my 80-mile commute. Seems shake is more pronounced on drivers side too (?).

Taking ma stang in tomorrow to replace the fuel tank problem, was fine from Dec. 4th till about a week ago then bam, no filly tanky :-(

Not sure the dealer/service dept. will give me any good info on the hood issues, they said they NEVER heard of the fuel tank problem till I whipped out the actual TSB file and said, "ya might what to check this out." Seems like they should have some sort of database/log on these things, or, maybe they just like to play stupid ;-)

Will let ya know if they pass along any valuable/useful info regarding the hood . . .

kpribble@terrib said:
I have an 05 Saleen S281 build date was early November by Ford and the hood shakes terribly around 100 MPH!!!

kpribble, i can't tell too well on your picture, but do you have the saleen vented hood? I ordered it in hopes of getting rid of the hood shake (and for its looks of course) ...I'm gonna be disappionted if the vented hood shakes too :(

Just bought my GT. It was built in May '05. No hood shake at all. All you can see is the hood lift a hair at speed. I read that the new Shelbys have the functional hood vents to alleviate the under hood pressure from the raked forward retro design.

Have 05' GT w/Roush Sport package built 2/05 have hood shake over 80 MPH & easy to close hood. Wife has 05' GT built 5/05 and does not have hood shake and is difficult for hood to close. I'm thinking on having both vehicles side by side to see if any factory changes I can spot? Will post later.

CaptainSaveAHoe said:
kpribble, i can't tell too well on your picture, but do you have the saleen vented hood? I ordered it in hopes of getting rid of the hood shake (and for its looks of course) ...I'm gonna be disappionted if the vented hood shakes too :(

No it is the standard hood - let me know if the Saleen hood is any better!!

THANX

Florida Bob, mine was built in April '06 and I purchased in Jul '06 and I just experienced the hood "flutter" at around 100MPH...it was very windy and rainy outside on the highway...definitely gave me a scare...
(hood being hinged at the front instead of the rear should have been considered during the design phase)

so to answer your question...doesn't look like Ford has done anything to correct it...of course right now, they're more worried about being solvent and it looks like the axe is coming down on quite a few jobs.

LuS1fer, I'm not sure that the C5 rubber strip will help...it seems that the air rushing in through the grill is the main culprit since the high pressure air has nowhere to go and the hood takes the brunt of it and starts shaking.

I don't care for drilling holes into my hood...I will try adjusting the bumper stops and avoid high speed runs in windy weather....

kpribble@terrib said:
I have an 05 Saleen S281 build date was early November by Ford and the hood shakes terribly around 100 MPH!!!
I also have a 05 Saleen with terrible hood shake. From what I understand there was a Saleen Recall on this problem I'd question Saleen. Be Careful Mine rubbed the front fascia and f'ed it up bad.

I have an 05 with an early December 04 build date.

With nearly 36K miles, I put her into the shop for a few tweeks.

One of those tweeks was to address the hood shake/lifting issue at high speeds.

Ford would not "officially" fix my problem since I had altered the hood latch mounting bracket to accomodate the new center mounted headlights/grille. (Quad headlights)

HOWEVER, a tech familar with the hood problem adjusted the side bump-stops and latch assembly. NO MORE HOOD SHAKE!:D

There is a fix out there!
Ya just have to find a tech with some experience.