Hood struts

All right, I know this is down on the list of mods, but have any of you disposed of that oh so annoying prop rod in favor of the gas struts? I am looking for your opinions quality of install and how well they actually hold up the hood. All input is appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

All right, I know this is down on the list of mods, but have any of you disposed of that oh so annoying prop rod in favor of the gas struts? I am looking for your opinions quality of install and how well they actually hold up the hood. All input is appreciated!

I personally believe the Redline Tuning struts are the finest on the market. I've had them on my last two Mustangs. Install is easy and they work/look great. Here's my '07 GT with the stainless steel "elite" version from Redline Tuning...

DSC_0009-1.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0009-1.jpg
    DSC_0009-1.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 111
I have CDC hood struts and love them. They support the OEM aluminum hood with ease. I don't know how well they would work with the heavier aftermarket hoods though. They are almost never in your way for working under the hood. They allow the hood to open much further than the prop rod (really close to the physical max of the hinge itself). They don't require any hole drilling, but do require removing one hood hinge bolt and loosening the other to slide the mounting bracket in. That makes it so you don't have to totally remove the hinge bracket from the hood to complicate hood realignment and makes it easy for single person install. I only had to make one slight readjustment on the driver side. I bought them directly from CDC, but several sites also carry them.

CDChoodstrut05.jpg

CDChoodstrut04.jpg

CDChoodstrut03.jpg

CDChoodstrut02.jpg

CDChoodstrut01.jpg

Attachments

• CDChoodstrut05.jpg
    CDChoodstrut05.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 97
  • CDChoodstrut03.jpg
    CDChoodstrut03.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 121
  • CDChoodstrut04.jpg
    CDChoodstrut04.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 120
  • CDChoodstrut02.jpg
    CDChoodstrut02.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 130
  • CDChoodstrut01.jpg
    CDChoodstrut01.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 110
MRT struts for me. Easy install, no drilling to hood or fenders. But I did grind on the base brackets a little to get a little better closing. There was a slight clearance issue with the hood bolt-head and the top of the bracket. Took maybe 1/8" off the top of the bracket, a little rattle-can black over the my 'fabrication', done...

Attachments

• Screaming_Roush_MRT_hood_lifts_left.jpg
    Screaming_Roush_MRT_hood_lifts_left.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 224
  • Screaming_Roush_MRT_hood_lifts_right.jpg
    Screaming_Roush_MRT_hood_lifts_right.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 168
Struts

I personally believe the Redline Tuning struts are the finest on the market. I've had them on my last two Mustangs. Install is easy and they work/look great. Here's my '07 GT with the stainless steel "elite" version from Redline Tuning...

DSC_0009-1.jpg

Have the same ones on my '06 GT 'vert. I agree, they are the best.

Attachments

• DSC_0009-1.jpg
    DSC_0009-1.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 177
I say who cares about the struts when you got the KB there!:D

Well, yea, there is that little item as well. I installed both myself, (and the RingBrothers hoodpins), but the KB did take a bit longer. I like the MRT struts best as they require no drilling and are mounted to the rear - not stretched across the fenders like some of the other 'long' struts (e.g. Redlines). They raise smoothly and hold the hood really well for car shows and such. I still have my OEM prop, but never use it. The CDCs and MRT look very, very similar. Perhaps they could even be the same item rebranded through the two companies? As with all things in the Stang world, it's a matter of personal preference....

I just ordered the MRT hood struts. All black color for my triple black 06GT and no drilling was an easy decision. Also like that fact that nothing stretches on the sides of the hood. I'll let you know how I like them.

Well, you all convinced me and I ordered the MRT struts, they arrived today. Hopefully get them in this week, doesn't look like its too difficult and install. I may even paint them to match my car!

Thanks for all your feedback

Close your hood very slowly the first time and watch for any bowing in the middle or near the back of the hood. If you have a slight raised gap above the fenders you might think it's tension on the hood from the hood lifts, but it isn't (at least on mine). I did have a slight clearance issue on the MRT bracket that mounts on the fender striking the hood bolt and the top plate. A little careful grinding on the vertical part of that bottom bracket, radius the corner a little and repaint rattle-can black when done took care of the slight bulge. I used petroleum jelly to determine where it was touching. Now it closes perfectly, no gap...

While the Redline Tuning struts may require drilling and rivetting, they don't require unbolting the hood from the hinges with often times results in alignment issues, hood rubbing against fender, etc. like the MRT's seem to (occasionally). Easy to install doesn't necessarily mean better. I've done Redline Tuning struts on my last two Mustangs and the fit & finish is perfect with no problems of any kind.