hopefully getting a bike

I know some of you on here have bikes. I am going to get one soon, and was wondering what you guys did when you got started? What did you start on? I wanted to take the motorcycle safety foundation course first, but I dont know if I can get in anytime soon.
The course trains you on a 250. But I am worried a 250 wont be big enough for me, but maybe a 500 is too much? So, I am not too sure what to buy. I found two local 2006 Kawasaki Ninja's, a 250 and a 500. What do you guys think for a starter bike.
My girlfriend is interested too, we are going to learn together

• Sponsors (?)

I baught a bike about 2 years ago, an 04 Suzuki GSX-R 600. That was my first bike. A lot of people said that a 600 was too big for a new rider, but I didn't have any problems. I never really fully got into it though, I only put on about 3200 miles in 2-years. I just sold it this month to get a foxbody mustang. Before that it was just the daily driver and the bike for speed. The sport bike is really really fast, but I still think driving a slower mustang is more fun.

The thing about the bike that sucks is that you can't carry anything, and it seems like I always wanted to carry something bigger than I could fit on the bike. (Laptop/misc stuff for work, rifles to go to the gun range, golf clubs, etc..)

Look into the suzuki sv650s I have one now its my first bike.. It has a lot of tourqe and its plenty fun. There really is no reason to have a bike that will run 10's in the 1/4th. The sv was rated as the best all around bike in its class. Its better then the ninja 250 and 500.

thanks guys, I'm really starting to think I need more than the 250, cause it really wont be long until I need more if I start with that.
Personally, I like the Honda CBR600, what do you think of that?
What do you think for a girl? She is pretty nervous to be on more than a 250.

I had a 2001 kawasaki ZR-7S. This was the perfect bike for someone who wants the mix between cruiser and crotch rocket. Insurance was reasonable, the performance was there, looks were there. If I find one local again I will buy it. That was a mistake to get rid of since they stopped making them. Just my advice.