Hot Rod Insurance part deux... PLEASE READ!!!

GDawg

Founding Member
Mar 22, 2002
Nevada
Okay guys,

I don't want to highjack the other "Insurance" thread so here's my thread.

I'm having a hard time finding Software Developer jobs in my home town. I don't want to move. As a result I commute 150 miles a day and I hate it and my job.

I've been toying with the idea of selling car insurance for Farmer's cause they are very open to new talent. I can't be a sleeze bag insurance guy but I believe insurance is necessary. I've had to use it and I'm glad I had it.

But here's the thing. If I do this I would advertise mostly to the guys like us that drive these kind of cars. I would want to give the fairest deal possible while making a living at it. I'd be fair but don't really know what I'm in for as I would have to follow the company's guidelines.

Tell me your opinions of the different companies and why you like or dislike them. Please do me a favor as a fellow ponyboy, state your opinion, your age, your payment and your company. I have had USAA for 25 years and like them. But Farmer's may be my first company to try this with. Let me know if it sounds like a good idea or not.

Thanks bros (and girls).

• Sponsors (?)

i would like stated value insurace for my stang that i can drive my car everyday with if i want too. and i like the insurance on my torino where it is only 180 a year but i know you cant do that on a dd so i think it is a little more reasonable to upp it higher then that but i hate paying insurance on a car that i will get nothing for if something happens to it .

I'm 40, pay $390 full coverage every 6 months on my '04 Mach, and $330 full coverage every 6 months on my '05 Focus with State Farm. I've been with them over 10 years and went with them strictly for the cheapest price I could find for the Mustangs I've owned. But when I was in a couple accidents that were'nt my fault, they did a great job of getting my claim filed and my vehicle fixed pretty quick. No stalling or anything. I would switch to another company in a heartbeat if I found a cheaper rate. No insurance loyalty for me. Show me the savings!!

Crzyhrse said:
I'm 40, pay $390 full coverage every 6 months on my '04 Mach, and $330 full coverage every 6 months on my '05 Focus with State Farm. I've been with them over 10 years and went with them strictly for the cheapest price I could find for the Mustangs I've owned. But when I was in a couple accidents that were'nt my fault, they did a great job of getting my claim filed and my vehicle fixed pretty quick. No stalling or anything. I would switch to another company in a heartbeat if I found a cheaper rate. No insurance loyalty for me. Show me the savings!!

Thanks for that input. That's a positive note. If they are there and aren't jerks that's a plus. I'd go cheaper too but to have an agent that is in tune would be a plus. I dealt with others that promised but didn't deliver. This is what I want to know.

More please...

33 and pay @ 3k a year for 96GT/04Lexus SC430/05Chevy Malibu/94 Aerostar...all full coverage. Not bad considering i live in NJ (highest auto insurance in USA and i have high coverage amounts) oh i have Allstate. There really isn't much in the way of custom service from the big companies since you just input the info and the computer tells you what to charge.

Metlife Auto on a group plan discount policy (through my employer). $724 every 6 months for full coverage on my car (I'm 38) and $882 every 6 months on the husband's 06 GT (he's 36). I would switch companies and even be willing to pay a little more for coverage that would cover upgrades/mods in writing on the policy. Oh, those rates are for no violations/accidents on our records.

IMO, those insurance companies look like scam jobs. You can post a blank resume on careerbuilder and theyll send you something like 'oh we saw your resume, you look like a very good candidate'. I get tons of them from different insurance companies..

I even went to one of them and went through their process. When I left, they had given me a booklet that I had to fill with 100 names of friends and family to call and solicit insurance sales to.

After you run out of names, you're **** out of luck and its up to you to keep finding people to buy. By then, youre known to everyone as the insurance guy lookin for a sale.

triggz said:
IMO, those insurance companies look like scam jobs. You can post a blank resume on careerbuilder and theyll send you something like 'oh we saw your resume, you look like a very good candidate'. I get tons of them from different insurance companies..

I even went to one of them and went through their process. When I left, they had given me a booklet that I had to fill with 100 names of friends and family to call and solicit insurance sales to.

After you run out of names, you're **** out of luck and its up to you to keep finding people to buy. By then, youre known to everyone as the insurance guy lookin for a sale.

Yes, that may be what I'm in for. But they are saying they'll help you with leads up front and give you a base pay. I figure I would put an ad in the yellow pages more designed for car guys like us. Advertising works. I know sales is hard but people need insurance and if I could offer insurance that includes mods (I have close to $9000 of mods not including labor in my car) that would be a good thing. I know I would have to be honest about what they will and will not cover but at least I would be a hot rod friendly agent.

btw... can I ask, was it Farmer's that you went to their seminar? This it the type of info I am looking for. Thanks bro!

im currently in the market for some new insurance. mine blows. please let me know if you decide to take the job, b/c i would be very interested in giving you my business b/c theres already trust there. anyway, here are my stats:

male
$1,000 deductable
bare bones as far as medical/property damage coverage
parent's plan (looking to get on my own)
5 speeding tickets in the past 3 years
$175/month or $1,050/6 months

im pretty close to switching to geico right now since i found the exact same coverage, with a $250 deductable, for $3 more per month.