Hotter plugs for GT40 heads

• Sponsors (?)

What do you have them gapped at? Want to check and see if hotter plugs will help anything? Close up the gap in the plugs.

Also: Check coil saturation. What is your voltage going [into] the coil with the engine at idle? What is the voltage at the battery terminals at idle?

Reactions: 1 user
What do you have them gapped at? Want to check and see if hotter plugs will help anything? Close up the gap in the plugs.

Also: Check coil saturation. What is your voltage going [into] the coil with the engine at idle? What is the voltage at the battery terminals at idle?
.054 is what’s called out for those plugs, but I can close them up. Voltage is 14 at both locations, I’m running a 130 volt alternator.

I'm guessing you've ran into the same issue I have with my 408W. It was built for use with nitrous so a bit of extra gap in the rings and a slight overbore to begin with. After a couple hundred passes it's using a bit of oil and the plugs get sooty quickly. For non-track use I stepped up a heat range and added a quart of Rislone Ring Seal w/ the 20w-50 oil change. After that, the plugs look much better. I would freshen the engine but it still runs as strong now as it did when first built :) You may also want to check your air fuel ratio to make sure it's not running overly rich... Hope this helps.