House Update

25thmustang

Mustang Master
Sep 5, 2003
Montgomery, NY
So after getting the bathroom done, we didn't have much time left till we had our housewarming party (tomorrow). The dining room was next on our list and it needed the wainscoting done. This is my first attempt at ever doing it, and I am happy with the result. I wish I had more time to figure out some of the edges (at the living room and kitchen openings) but I can always tackle that later.

The photos show it almost complete. Needs one more coat of paint, the red cut in, plate covers and a good cleaning of the room.

Let me know what you think.

Also this is not just a picture frame on a wall, but in the end kind of looks similar.

Begining: Putting the stiles and rails up...
View attachment 237477

Middle: Picture framing and top cap in place...
View attachment 237478

End: Not 100% but here is the whole set up with base moulding...
View attachment 237479
View attachment 237480
View attachment 237481
View attachment 237482

I also trimmed the door and window with a nicer fluted trim and rosettes at the top. This room has the 4 1/4" crown as well, just a little nicer than the rest of the house.

• Sponsors (?)

Brian it looks awesome! I want to do this exact same thing in our dining room! I have such issues cutting the corners though. I need to find a caulk to fill in the edges that i can smooth out and paint over.

Thanks...

Justin the edges are where coping comes in. You can do it or not, but it helps with walls that aren't 90 degrees. Basically you cut one piece to run dead straight into the wall. The piece that will run into the corner you cut at a 45 angle, then use a coping saw to cut out the back material. This allows the piece to be adjusted for the not perfect wall, while still keeping the tight fit.

For caulk I used the cheap white Lowes brand. Nothing fancy as it won't keeping any water in or out, simply filling a gap. Cut the tip to between 1/8" and 1/4" on angle, use a no drip gun (worth it) put a nice light bead and then use your fingers with a little water. Smooth it out and you have a nice paintable seam.

:D

Thanks, just need a server to replace the country looking one and some more wall decorations and it should be done...

Oh yeah and the debate between leaving and painting the doors white. She likes the color now, I think white would make it look 100 times better.

Thanks, Crown is one of the classiest touches that is easy and reletively cheap to do.

Next big project is blowing out a wall, moving some HVAC and adding a balcony from the 23' x 12' bonus room over looking the 23' x 14' Great Room. :D

Damn Gina, you did a great job on the dining room. I finished my basement and constructed some shelves, and my head was pretty big. Not sure anyone could stand in the same room with my ego if I had the patience to finish a room off that nicely.

P.S. I would paint the doors as well

All the previous photos got moved on PB, I can reload them if anyone desires...

Here is the latest updates. Got some yard work done, mulch, hedge trimming, weeding etc...

Enjoy:

View attachment 221577
View attachment 221578
View attachment 221579
View attachment 221580
View attachment 221581
View attachment 221582
View attachment 221583
IMG_2839.jpg

View attachment 221585

It wasn't easy, but the previous owner actually made it much better for me. She had the fabric down already so the weeds were reletively little.

I did however lay down a bed of mulch, then proceed to trim the bushes above it... Go figure, I had to remove a lot of it and redo that area. I still have one, possibly two more locations to mulch, and then rebuild of that wood front wall and paver walkway before tackling that area with plants and mulch.