How bad will 30's kill me n/a?

Im stepping up my dry kit to push alot of nitrous and need to use 30lb injectors. My question is how bad will they effect my normal driving and n/a performance? Mods are in my sig except i will also be adding a 75mm tb and egr, 76mm maf for 30's and a 255fuel pump so ill still be on stock heads. Only reason for such big stuff is it will be good for my 331 and for right now it should help spraying the piss out of this stock shortblock.

• Sponsors (?)

I have 30s and they are a bit big for my setup, but they work. The only problems I have is when first starting up the car, when the computer is in open loop. After it warms up and gets readings from the o2 sensors its pretty much fine. Sometimes i have problems mainting a good idle for a long time, but I think that also has to do with my tfs stage 1 cam. I believe the computer will just shorten the injector pulse time so it sprays as much as it needs. Good luck.

My car is bone stock (minus 1.7 roller rockers) and I stuck 30#'s in there since I had the intake off and will be upgrading to a power adder soon. I'm interested as well in milage. I assume that the EEC would just adapt it once it learned it after awhile.

xplo89gt said:
I have 30s and they are a bit big for my setup, but they work. The only problems I have is when first starting up the car, when the computer is in open loop. After it warms up and gets readings from the o2 sensors its pretty much fine. Sometimes i have problems mainting a good idle for a long time, but I think that also has to do with my tfs stage 1 cam. I believe the computer will just shorten the injector pulse time so it sprays as much as it needs. Good luck.

Yeah same here...my injectors are a bit big for my setup also...it runs real rich at idle...what do you mean about the open loop at idle...what does it do on your car until it warms up...(I'm trying to figure something out on my car)...?...but the car drives fine besides idle surge and the smell of fuel at idle...

Here are two quick definitions i grabbed from google. You can search more and will find some in depth articles.

Open Loop: A mode of operation in a computerized engine management system that occurs after a cold start. During open loop, the computer provides a fixed air/fuel ratio that is richer than normal to improve cold derivability until the engine warms up.

Closed Loop: The basic principle of electronic engine management in which input from an oxygen sensor allows the engine control computer to determine and maintain a nearly perfect air-fuel ratio. To enter closed loop operation, the oxygen sensor must be producing a voltage signal and the engine must have reached a certain operating temperature.

5spd GT said:
Yeah same here...my injectors are a bit big for my setup also...it runs real rich at idle...what do you mean about the open loop at idle...what does it do on your car until it warms up...(I'm trying to figure something out on my car)...?...but the car drives fine besides idle surge and the smell of fuel at idle...

You're not rich at idle, your car just stinks with all the new parts and no cats ;) You'll be in oen loop when you first turn the car on. When the cars all warmed up and you turn it on you might notice a surge, then a few seconds go by and the surge stops. Its now in closed loop. The 30's are ideal for you.

QDRHRSE said:
With stock heads I wouldn't say 30's are ideal but they will work fine. You may have to reduce the FP a little. If you don't have an adjustable regulator you should get one anyway.

I agree, they are not ideal but would be near perfect with a set of heads. The EEC will adjust the pulse width to make the A/F ratio correct, you will be fine...

Grn92LX said:
You're not rich at idle, your car just stinks with all the new parts and no cats ;) You'll be in oen loop when you first turn the car on. When the cars all warmed up and you turn it on you might notice a surge, then a few seconds go by and the surge stops. Its now in closed loop. The 30's are ideal for you.

It's rich trust me :nice: ...the plugs tell it all...I had the offroad h before I did the "swap"...the new part smell is now gone...lol...but my clutch is slipping...stock napa clutch :bang:

For my "combo"...30's would be perfect with a tune...but I don't have a tune nor am I getting one any time soon...no places that do mustangs around here... :nonono:

If only Ford made a 27lb injector :shrug:

Humm

Well I have 30's with my set up and have ABSOLUTELY no problems what so ever. No gass smell, no surges, no nothing. I think the computer adjusts well. My mods are in the sig below. Also I live in Calif and I passed smog with FLYING colors :D

As long as you have a MAF that's calibrated for 30# injectors the ECU will meter the correct ammount of fuel. It'll be like you have the stock injectors in it. If you don't have the correct MAF, it'll haev rich A/F ratio issues.

Just get the proper MAF and go with it.