How can I tell if my car's been 'tuned'

I just bought an 06 GT and I want to buy the predator for it. Only problem is, I hear it can mess up the car if I use it and the car has already been tuned. I got the car from a dealer and it already has a C&L intake and flowmaster exhaust so it could be tuned already. I hear I might be able to tell by the intake as C&L makes one that you can use without the tuner but I haven't called them for more information yet. Any ideas? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Well, too bad you didn't get the tuner the original owner used. The bad thing is that you don't have the stock tune for it. If you ever needed the stock tune, you would have to get a dealer to re-flash your PCM. ( Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here.) :rolleyes:

To see if it a "no tune" intake, look inside the MAF housing. If you see an insert, then it is a "no tune".
Link here to see what it looks like: 2005-2007 Mustang GT C&L Air Induction System with No Tune Option

And congrats on the new Stang !! Need pic's, of course.

Yup it should be an insert that reduces the size of the pipe to that close to stock so the engine doesn't run lean.

Something else to think about is what if it has those parts on it with no tune! :eek: The po might have returned it to stock so he could keep the tuner thinking he would get another mustang or sell it for money(why they wouldn't take the intake too is beyond me unless he got rid of the stocker). If that is the case you are running lean and could seriously damage your car! Be careful!!!

Do you have a auto trans? A full throttle run from first into second gear will help you determine if you have a "good" tune already. You will spin the tires going into second, no way a stock tune will do that.

I have read where the dealer can reflash a stock tune back in there for $75 to $100. Seems like a waste to me though. I would call brenspeed, talk to a tech and order a new tune from them. I will never use my stock tune again in my stang or my truck. I doubt you will ever need one either, just get a proper tune for your cai and other mods.

patrick

I have the same issue as well, As I bought my 05 GT already pre-tuned with a Steeda CAI w/ 93 Tune and Ford Racing 4.10 gears, but never came with the original tuner. so I can't upload my 93 Bama tune. So Im wondering is there anyway I can get a stock tune back into my car or is this something I have to have take back to my dealer?

I believe you're going to go to the dealership and get them to re-flash. Of course, then you will have to upload your new tune before you leave the dealership because of the CAI and the lean running condition it causes.

I have the same issue as well, As I bought my 05 GT already pre-tuned with a Steeda CAI w/ 93 Tune and Ford Racing 4.10 gears, but never came with the original tuner. so I can't upload my 93 Bama tune. So Im wondering is there anyway I can get a stock tune back into my car or is this something I have to have take back to my dealer?

Here's my plan, I'm gonna run a title search through the DMV, hopefully they can give me some of the original owners contact info (I know from the carfax its a one owner car) and hopefully I can get in touch with them and get the original tuner for the car.

If that doesn't work out I'm just gonna have to buy a tuner and take it to the dealer for a stock reflash before I use it.