how close are mid muffler systems to...

VPStang

Founding Member
Oct 1, 2002
bHAM, alabama
the exhaust sound of 96-04 mustang gt's. I love the exhaust sound of the previous generation of mustang. I think the 05+ has really taken a step back in sound. How close does the Mid muffler system get to that old sound? Can anyone with experience please chime in? I've thought about catted Prochamber and magnapack a/b combo to get that deeper tone, but i'm afreaid to spend the money without kowing in advance. My other idea is to get a shop to fab a mid-muffler magnapack system for me.

Thanks for the help guys!

• Sponsors (?)

in my opinion, these 3v motors do not sound anything like the previous gens, no exhaust systems in my opinion do for these cars.

i'd say check out a few youtube videos of different sounding exhaust combinations, theres some systems that sound unique, and good, just not like the previous generation. those 2v motors sound sweet, can't beat them in terms of exhaust note.

I'm not so sure it has as much to do with the number of valves as it does with the placement of the muffler and length and diameter of the actual exhaust tip. It may very well be a combination of both. I haven't heard anything on youtube thats really grabbed me. Youtube isn't the best way to judge anyways. But even then you can tell the old 2v and 4v sound much better. Pypes clips haven't impressed me much. There just arent that many quality exhaust clips for 2005+.

in my opinion, these 3v motors do not sound anything like the previous gens, no exhaust systems in my opinion do for these cars.

i'd say check out a few youtube videos of different sounding exhaust combinations, theres some systems that sound unique, and good, just not like the previous generation. those 2v motors sound sweet, can't beat them in terms of exhaust note.

the exhaust sound of 96-04 mustang gt's. I love the exhaust sound of the previous generation of mustang. I think the 05+ has really taken a step back in sound. How close does the Mid muffler system get to that old sound? Can anyone with experience please chime in? I've thought about catted Prochamber and magnapack a/b combo to get that deeper tone, but i'm afreaid to spend the money without kowing in advance. My other idea is to get a shop to fab a mid-muffler magnapack system for me.

Thanks for the help guys!

Do you have the prochamber that connects to the stock cats or one with hi-flows welded in? For about 1.5 years I ran prochamber w/hi-flows and magnapacks. One of the best sounding set-ups I have heard, especially on the 3v. I am now running the same midpipe but switched the magnapacks for SLPs. This set-up also sounds good. Nothing like the 2v or 3v but closer to a 60s early 70s muscle car. In the future I may go with a pypes or magnapack midmuffler set-up, but like you I am hesitant. I want to hear it in person 1st.

I havent made ANY purchases. I just don't know which way to go. I'm literally at a point where I'm just throwing my hands up and nothing is getting done. So you really like the prochamber magnapack combo? Does the prochamber help deepen the tone considerably?

Slow5o, would you consider them to have a deep tone or more loud/brash sound? (don't know how else to descrobe what i'm thinking)

Do you have the prochamber that connects to the stock cats or one with hi-flows welded in? For about 1.5 years I ran prochamber w/hi-flows and magnapacks. One of the best sounding set-ups I have heard, especially on the 3v. I am now running the same midpipe but switched the magnapacks for SLPs. This set-up also sounds good. Nothing like the 2v or 3v but closer to a 60s early 70s muscle car. In the future I may go with a pypes or magnapack midmuffler set-up, but like you I am hesitant. I want to hear it in person 1st.

I agree. The shape and size of the combustion chamber plus the intake and exhaust design are all contributing factors to how a car sounds, in short a 2V cylinder head will give you the sound that the SN95s are known for. This design plus firing order is what gives the "beat" of the sound.

That said the placement of the mufflers does change the tone up a bit. The older models had mufflers installed centrally (mid muffler). This basically created a situation where the muffler was used to reduce sound and define the tone of the exhaust pulses. That sound then had to travel again through the rest of the pipes to escape out the car. In the S197 once the pulses hit the muffler they're out the car muffled and unchanged which give the car a more subdued tone.

To fix this I bought a pair of Steeda mufflers. They are a straight through design which eliminates the obstacles placed by a regular muffler's baffles and don't have quite the same amount of glass packing as the regular Borlas or the FRPP which make them tastefully loud and very deep without losing on the quality of the sound.

I havent made ANY purchases. I just don't know which way to go. I'm literally at a point where I'm just throwing my hands up and nothing is getting done. So you really like the prochamber magnapack combo? Does the prochamber help deepen the tone considerably?

Slow5o, would you consider them to have a deep tone or more loud/brash sound? (don't know how else to descrobe what i'm thinking)

O/R prochamber and magnapacks had an aggressive tone, but tended to be raspy at certain RPMS. I had hi-flows welded in and that cleaned up and deepened the tone. Prochambers w/hi flows and magnapacks is one of the best sounding set-ups I have heard on the S197.

what if the magnapack muffler was welded into stock system as mid muffler, then an longer resonating(one with a gradual flare or increase in diameter) exhaust tip was welded in at the end? wouldn't that make it closer to old systems?

I read some article that reviewed several axle backs and basically concluded that Borla had their favorite sound. Seems like Magnapack was a very close second and then the flowmaster. They seemed to like the deep agressive tone more than the loud trumpet and put these three brands at the top of their list.

what if the magnapack muffler was welded into stock system as mid muffler, then an longer resonating(one with a gradual flare or increase in diameter) exhaust tip was welded in at the end? wouldn't that make it closer to old systems?

I read some article that reviewed several axle backs and basically concluded that Borla had their favorite sound. Seems like Magnapack was a very close second and then the flowmaster. They seemed to like the deep agressive tone more than the loud trumpet and put these three brands at the top of their list.
You can do a midmuffler set-up with magnflow mufflers. Just buy the 4"X14" round magnaflow mufflers and have a muffler shop install them before the axle and then extend piping and put on some tips. NASTYSTANG who post on this site sometime had this set-up except he had SLP LM as the rear section.

I havent made ANY purchases. I just don't know which way to go. I'm literally at a point where I'm just throwing my hands up and nothing is getting done.

VP, That's because there are literally hundreds of combinations that will change the sound of your Mustang. Most of these changes are slight, but just like an audiophile who notices great differences in speakers, you need to determine whether your ears can and want to hear the difference! :) If sound is important to you, you really have to consider your decision a 'work in progress'. Many owners try 4 or 5 different combos before they find the one that works for them. Your best bet would be to go to a couple of Mustang shows and listen to the cars and then ask what mods they have made and make sure your car matches EXACTLY. If you don't want to wait, go with your first impression. Mid Muffler system! ;) Whatever you choose, you will have a much better sounding Mustang than you do now.

i guess i just need to pick a direction to go and just try it. Speculation isn't gonna get anything done.

pypesexhaust, what are the differences in the motor that changes sound from previous. Even the old 4 valve sounded REALLY good. Or do you guys find that its purely the exhaust system itself? How would you describe the difference between your own mid muffler system and the regular catback?

VP, That's because there are literally hundreds of combinations that will change the sound of your Mustang. Most of these changes are slight, but just like an audiophile who notices great differences in speakers, you need to determine whether your ears can and want to hear the difference! :) If sound is important to you, you really have to consider your decision a 'work in progress'. Many owners try 4 or 5 different combos before they find the one that works for them. Your best bet would be to go to a couple of Mustang shows and listen to the cars and then ask what mods they have made and make sure your car matches EXACTLY. If you don't want to wait, go with your first impression. Mid Muffler system! ;) Whatever you choose, you will have a much better sounding Mustang than you do now.

i guess i just need to pick a direction to go and just try it. Speculation isn't gonna get anything done.

pypesexhaust, what are the differences in the motor that changes sound from previous. Even the old 4 valve sounded REALLY good. Or do you guys find that its purely the exhaust system itself? How would you describe the difference between your own mid muffler system and the regular catback?

It really is a combination of both. For 2005 that motor had a lot of changes. Moving the mufflers to the back on any car is going to change the sound quite a bit. The Mustang was no exception. It's not necessarily a bad sound, it's just different. Pypes also has several rear muffler options for your car as well. We just decided to make the mid-muffler system so you at least have an option to get 'that sound' you are looking for.

You can do a midmuffler set-up with magnflow mufflers. Just buy the 4"X14" round magnaflow mufflers and have a muffler shop install them before the axle and then extend piping and put on some tips. NASTYSTANG who post on this site sometime had this set-up except he had SLP LM as the rear section.

I agree with everyone that you're not going to get that sound but you can get close to it. I agree that a mid muffler system is going to be closest thing to it. I bought a set of SLP LMs used for a great price and liked the sound at first. Than, I started realizing that there was no tone so I bought a pair of Magnaflow Magnapacks for $60 each and had them welded in right before the rear axle. It sounded great! There was a little drone on the highway though. I ended up getting a O/R X Pipe which made the biggest difference in sound. It got rid of the drone too. It sounded awesome! Than I added another 250+ rwhp and it was ridiculous. I would end up with blood coming out of my ears after a couple minutes. :rlaugh:

I was hoping someone with experience would chime in. Thanks.
So was there a night and day type of difference in tone? Or more subtle?
I was thinking of getting magnapacks or borlas welded in at mid point and also add on catted prochamber to help deepen the tone--i'm just afraid of bad drone.

I agree with everyone that you're not going to get that sound but you can get close to it. I agree that a mid muffler system is going to be closest thing to it. I bought a set of SLP LMs used for a great price and liked the sound at first. Than, I started realizing that there was no tone so I bought a pair of Magnaflow Magnapacks for $60 each and had them welded in right before the rear axle. It sounded great! There was a little drone on the highway though. I ended up getting a O/R X Pipe which made the biggest difference in sound. It got rid of the drone too. It sounded awesome! Than I added another 250+ rwhp and it was ridiculous. I would end up with blood coming out of my ears after a couple minutes. :rlaugh:

I welded in a set of Kooks resonators before the axle with straight pipes back...also I am running Kooks Long Tube headers with their H and racing cats...sounds great.

DSC02420.jpg