How difficult is LT-Header/X/Catback install?

Schlitz-420

Apr 25, 2006
Michigan
Can any of you guys recommend a high quality LT Headers, X Pipe, and exhaust combo that is both high yield as well as high quality and installs without cutting or anything drastic, like if i buy it all from Hooker/JBA/SLP will it all just fit together nicely? i don't care how loud it is, i have no mufflers right now and i like it but it is too raspy and trumpets a great deal. Thanks a lot as usual!:hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

Well I don't know yet, but I'm getting my mods done at Dynospeed racing in Memphis in October (when I finally get home from Iraq) and they recommended JBA LTH (409 Steel, very good looking in addition to great reviews), with JBA Xpipe with Cats (still loud, good flow, but passes emissions) and Magnaflow Catbacks.

We shall see I suppose. :)

IMO...

You can hardly go wrong with any of the major brands of headers. All are producing pretty much the same #'s. I mean of all the equal-length, mandrel-bent, 1 5/8" headers. The mid pipe choices may bring some differences - high-flow/deleted/less-than-high flow cats; X vs H; prochamber, etc. Some "stainless" headers are more prone to rusting but only on the surface. ie, 409 and 304 are the most common but 304 is more rust and heat resistant. but if you get them ceramic/jet-hot coated it'll help with underhood temps as well as rusting. you might be able to save a few $ going w/ coated 409 over coated 304.

although it IS doable, i'd recommend against doing the install yourself. you'll likely need to lift the engine a few inches to get to header bolts and clearance for intalling the new headers. even if everything goes perfect you'll probably spend a minimum of 8 hours doing this install. i'll be doing LT's/mid pipe soon but i'm going to have a trusted tuner/shop do the install and then they will immideately tune the car afterward.

Thanks, i have been trying to figure out which mods i will be able to do myself and which ones i will have to have a shop do. i can of course do a CAI and some other minor things no question but i am hesitant to do a lot of things like 4.10s and and the headers. What about doing a short throw? i assume thatis also difficult but have not seen literature on doing the install. I am assuming these items don't come with step by step instructions for installation. Thanks again.

agreed, but if needed you can drop the drive shaft to give you more room to work. there's 4 bolts at the back-end of the shaft that connect to the pinion flange. just make sure to chalk-mark the yoke and the flange so that when you bolt it back up that it's in the same place.

Thanks Anthony. I was told it was legal to pull my cats in MI as long as i do it myself (shop on a saturday) but a little sheriff's deputy told me tonight it's illegal for me to do it as well. Do any of you guys know an easy way to find out your true emissions laws in a given state? He also stated my straightpipes were illegal as it altered the factory sound. If he is right that is unfair, harleys will give you a headache as they pass by but we cannot add a little growl to our cars?