How do can I check the ignition system?

94blackgt 1621

Jul 13, 2003
How can I check the ignition system?

I'm having a problem with my ignition system which I can't figure out. I know It's not my starter because i've replaced it 3 times, also I've replaced all the wires including grounds going to the battery, starter, alternator, and fuse box and terminals and everytime I start my car all i get is a ckick from the solenoid but no start. My question is how can I check the ignition system starting at the starter and what voltage readings to expect using a multimeter.

thanks
Chad

• Sponsors (?)

is the starter spinning (engine turning over)? if it's not then it's not your ignition sys. with the multi-meter black lead to ground and red lead to wire on starter and have someone turn the key you should see 12-14 vdc. if you do your starter is bad. or you can take the starter off and bring it to your parts store of choice and have them test it for free

Extra wiring or passage of starter interlock power through relays can cause enough voltage drop to hinder the excitement of the starter solenoid. This can happen with alarms. If you hear a click while trying to start it, that suggests the alarm is not actively hindering your attempt to start.

Dont forget to check your motor ground pathways and starter cable itself. Most of us have added an extra motor ground. You can connect a jumper cable from the motor to the chassis to see if that was your issue.

When the starter actually turns over, min required voltage is about 10 volts while cranking.

Yesterday I took the starter wire off of the starter bolt (which has a wire that goes from the solenoid to the starter), and instead touched it directly to the starter bypassing the solenoid. This caused smoke to poor out of the center console. Now that I think about it, about 6 months ago when the problem started (just a click when trying to start) smoke came up from the center console. I just found this is common for a bad ground to pass through the ebrake cables due to the current taking the path of least resistance from a bad ground and melting the plastic on the cables. So i'm going to double check all my grounds again and hope this is the problem.