How do i eliminate lifter tick?

• Sponsors (?)

i had the same problem after a few pases i started hearing the lifters ticking some times hard and my lifter was lunati (they are not prety good) then i read a 5.0 magazine article and it said that the lifter oil feed hole needs to be facing up or facing the camshaft if they are facing down they bleed off and i had them ones facing up and ones facing down after i fixed them problem solved incredible but true...

the best lifter for me are comp cams...

I have a lifter tick in my engine of a type that has been described in earlier threads. Basically, the engine is quiet when cold, and develops the tick when warm. The noise is most noticeable between 2000 and 2500 rpm. I am running 10-30 Castrol, and fixed the problem by replacing one quart of oil with Lucas oil additive (in the earlier thread Slick 50 accomplished the same thing). I do not like this fix because i started with a new GT40 (aluminum head) crate motor and it did this from day 1. Later I replaced the B303 cam with a Comp Cams XE264 HR (.512 lift). Lifter preload was fine. The noise got worse over the next 5,000 milers so I put in a set of Comp Cams lifters. The noise decreased but did not go away. The only thing that fixed it was the Lucas oil additive. Considering the engine is supposed to run on 10-30 and is essentially brand new, this is wrong. Oil pressure at 800 rpm idle was 40 psi hot, now it is 50 psi hot. I know it is not an exhaust leak (I built my own headers and tracked down and welded up all the pinholes) or rocker problem because I have the pedestal rockers that are not prone to this problem. I almost think the lifter bores are machined oversized ...
I know this was long ago posted but actually have same set up as you had here same problem now it mainly comes from passenger side 512 lift comp cam, now header leaks it is noticeable from start not noticeable on road but I'm sure it is there I did use new lifters when installing the new camshaft ordered trick flow 6.3" push rods maybe they weren't long enough they seemed to meet lash ok installing I didn't use an adjustable push rod length checker cam set on (0) the car will scream around 2800-6000 but the chatter is making me crazy any help would be much appreciated ....I have filled out PTV touch with clay before putting engine back together but not after going to bigger push rods seems contained to one cylinder. Ty Nick.

I know this was long ago posted but actually have same set up as you had here same problem now it mainly comes from passenger side 512 lift comp cam, now header leaks it is noticeable from start not noticeable on road but I'm sure it is there I did use new lifters when installing the new camshaft ordered trick flow 6.3" push rods maybe they weren't long enough they seemed to meet lash ok installing I didn't use an adjustable push rod length checker cam set on (0) the car will scream around 2800-6000 but the chatter is making me crazy any help would be much appreciated ....I have filled out PTV touch with clay before putting engine back together but not after going to bigger push rods seems contained to one cylinder. Ty Nick.
Ughh...can't read that. Not a single period. Sorry, I tried.

Roller rockers?

Just for the record, exhaust leaks, especially header gasket leaks can sound similar to valve train noise. But, the exhaust leak will be noticeable when accelerating. Then will quiet down when coasting or decelerating.