How do I swap 5.4 DOHC into '96 Mustang GT?

ScottPuddintane

Founding Member
Apr 18, 2002
Chicago
Ok, I know nothing about 5.4 DOHC's and Mustang swaps. I have a '96 SOHC automatic Mustang GT convertible.

1. What non-Mustangs have 5.4 DOHC engines?

2. What's the difference between the heads/cams/intake/exhaust of a truck 5.4 DOHC vs. a car 4.6 DOHC?

3. How do I get "Cobra R power" out of a truck 5.4 DOHC?

4. What do I need to swap a 5.4 DOHC into a Mustang GT and keep it automatic? I need the car to pass emissions... or at least slip by.

• Sponsors (?)

You can find that engine in 99 up Lincoln Navigators. They are rated at 300 horsepower and I would say with some exhuast work, port&polished head, raise compression a little and some cams would net you little bit more power. Also, in australia? they already have some cars overs there running 5.4 dohc engines rated around 360-380 horsepower. They are made by Ford Performance Solutions(http://www.fpv.com.au/index.asp?link_id=2.180) Just some ideas for you. Not sure what it will take to get the motor to fit. I imagine it would be a close bolt-in, may need a cowl hood and some new headers. Hope this gives you some ideas.

I'm almost 100% sure that it'll drop right in and you'll be able to use the stock K-member and everything...the only difference between the 4.6 and the 5.4 blocks is the deck height...There might be some clearance issues around the brake master cylinder, but I think that's about it...

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me...