how do i tell the difference between a 5.0 and a 4 or 6 cyl.

Wolverine57

Feb 11, 2004
Georgia
hey whats up everybody :D :D :D

just thought i would see if yall could help me. I just turned 16 and i am looking for a car. My friend knows a guy who says he has a '83 5.0 mustang that he wants to get rid of for 500$.
Well, the problem is, i went to look at it and the guy wasn't home so i couldn't pop the hood and tell if it was really the 5.0, so i just looked at it from the outside in. I was looking at it and noticed that it only had a single exhaust, but i thought that the 5.0's only came with the double exhaust.
Im new to the mustang world, i only know about /6's, i drag race them. Ive looked all over the internet and havent been able to find out if they came with only a single or double exhaust. :shrug:
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks yall

• Sponsors (?)

83 non GT's had a single pipe exiting the rear of the car. No fox mustnag (79-85) had true dual exhaust - that was not offered until 1986 - same year EFI was introduced and the 8.8 rear.

84 (I believe) came with two rear pipes - but 79-83 still had a single pipe from the factory.

On an 83 I am not sure how to tell w/o opening the hood. Was it a GT (says so on the side molding)?

www.mustanggt.org

moonenn3186 said:
84 (I believe) came with two rear pipes - but 79-83 still had a single pipe from the factory.
[/url]

'84 still had single exhaust.

In '85, ford went psuedo duals. They had two headers that converged into a single cat, then about 2 fit of single pipe before splitting into dual mufflers and dual tailpipes.

About the easiest way to tell if a car is a 5.0, is to look for 5.0 emblems on the side. Next up is wheels and tires.

thank yall
Im gonna go over there tomorrow and find out for shure.
thanks for the replies, i was pretty mad that i had saved up for a 5.0 mustang and then it turns out to be a four banger, but now im pumped up that there still might be a chance that i can still get my dream car.

if you have any good pics of a mustang send 'em my way
thanks

Mustang5L5 said:
About the easiest way to tell if a car is a 5.0, is to look for 5.0 emblems on the side. Next up is wheels and tires.

Can't always go by that now a days.. I've seen a bunch of 4 cylinders with the 5.0 emblems on them.. I know a couple of people with early 90's 4 cyl stangs with 5.0 and cobra emblems on their cars..

I'd say the easiest way would be like mentioned earlier by RickyB see if you can see the manifold(s) If you see two then its a 8 cyl if one then a 4 cyl..

1983 5.0s are HO...

also 83's that had the 5.0, were fitted with traction bars on the rear suspension. so take a peak under the rear tires. gt cars had an 8k tach...i would guess non-gt 5.0's would also get the upgraded tach as well.

also in 1983, a turbo gt was introduced, which had a 2.3l turbo

Count the wires on the distributor, it's right at the front of the engine.

a 4-cyl will have inline clyinders, and tons of engine room, the v6 will look like a v8 kinda, except it will have a lot of room in front of the engine, the V8 will take up a majority of the engine bay.

BlackFox5.0 said:
Count the wires on the distributor, it's right at the front of the engine.

a 4-cyl will have inline clyinders, and tons of engine room, the v6 will look like a v8 kinda, except it will have a lot of room in front of the engine, the V8 will take up a majority of the engine bay.
i think he was asking for ways to tell since he didn't have access to the engine bay... of course you can reach up under the cowl and pop it open if you know where the pull cable conects to the latch.

also another way is to check the vin# on the dash (provided the engine hasn't been swapped out). the 8th character is the engine code:

A = 2.3l 4cyl
T = 2.3l 4cyl turbo
3 = 3.8l 6cyl
F = 5.0l 8cyl

Who cares if its a 4, 6 or an 8, its an '83 Mustang for 500 bucks!! does it look decent? does it run? Find out what motor later on. Which ever motor is in there, you'll still have fun with it..I'm hopfully droping a turbo motor in my '88 400 dollar 4 banger.

BTW, I have a '82GT thats stock and I think on the '83GT's (turbos as well) had the same "duel tipped" single exhaust. Go check it out!! ;) best of luck!