How do you increase MPG?

I'm getting around 20 in my 2002 Auto 3.8 V6. I know some have got up to 26mpg so I was wondering what I can do to increase the MPG or is it a crap shoot? I have done a complete tune up with a new K & N air filter, so it's not that. I was wondering if the previous owner put some kind of performance chip in it. Does anyone know where I would look and for what? Any other tips would be helpful.

• Sponsors (?)

antamng said:
I'm getting around 20 in my 2002 Auto 3.8 V6. I know some have got up to 26mpg so I was wondering what I can do to increase the MPG or is it a crap shoot? I have done a complete tune up with a new K & N air filter, so it's not that. I was wondering if the previous owner put some kind of performance chip in it. Does anyone know where I would look and for what? Any other tips would be helpful.

you let go of the loud pedal....and as was stated above....thats no fun

omgxorz +56 mpg in my minivan!?
HRMMM SOUNDS too GOOD too BE TRUE!?
my fav point made about that - if it really made that difference, why havent any manufacturers 'caught on'? wouldnt they want t3h u53r g@$ mileorz all for themselves!?
its all aboot the bush family and them oil thingsies over there in the middle east!? or not
or is it a plot against the environment
<see emptieng fuel tank directly into lake from crashed stang>

Well yours is an 02...how many miles? A couple small mods i've done that arent too much of a price gouge.

Changed my oil to Royal Purple. I got about an added 2.5 mpg to my car once I started using that. It polishes the bearings and such reducing friction, adding a couple hp, and it says change every 12k miles. (i will change it at 10, filter at 5).

Sea foam - If you have about 25,000+ miles on your car dump a can of that in your gas tank. $5 from autozone and works wonders. I got another mpg to that.

Shift around or under 2,000 rpms

stay under 68 mph. 68 is where your car goes at the highest mpg. (freeway speed of course...or backroad...)

under drive pulley - it's my next mod.

dual exhaust - gives about 2 mpg

intake - gives about 1 mpg

If the previous owner put a pref. chip in it, then it would require premium gas. so if you're not using 93 octane it probably doesnt have one.

I'm geting about 28 mpg top up highway driving no a/c.

City i avg about 24. I also have a 300 watt amp so that takes away a little.

Underdrive pulleys and high flow cats will make the best mpg gains to start with. I wouldnt expect anything from the intake side at all. Weight reduction helps. :shrug:

With the CAI alone, I got about 1.5 mpg more than I had been (low 19s). THat put me up to a little under 21. Now with my exhaust, I usually get low to mid 22. This is all city, I never really drive the highway much, but I'd estimate about 23-24.