How far will SLP go?

horsepower1,
I have the full SLP exhaust and absolutely love it, excellent quality, and other than the headers, the install was very straight forward. I just have one question, when i picked up my parts, I was under the impression that O2 sensor simulators were included with the O/R X Pipe, and they didnt come. This was entirely my fault for not inquiring enough...anyway when I called my salesman, I had him send out a set of O2 simulators. When they arrived, I opened the box and there were 2 O2 sensor EXTENDERS, or atleast they look identical to the extenders that came with the longtubes. Now, since you guys were closed for the last three weeks, I had no one to contact and still dont for two days until you open, so here are my questions:

Am I right that the things i was sent, which look identical to the exterders are NOT simulators?

And if not, what do I have to do to get them exchanged?

Again I am 100% satisfied with the exhaust, it is EXTERMELY loud and get compliments on it all the time...

Thanks,
Andy

• Sponsors (?)

SilverSteed said:
horsepower1,
I had him send out a set of O2 simulators. When they arrived, I opened the box and there were 2 O2 sensor EXTENDERS, or atleast they look identical to the extenders that came with the longtubes.

hello
how long are the o2 sims. they sent? If they are the plugin type (wich seems like they are ) they just plug in between the o2 sensor plugs . so they will look like extenders. but they should only be about 4-6 inches max.
-fred

Also one more :nice: for Slp

Round Two- Ding

304 ss is far superior to all 400 series ss. Bottom line is that it is more expensive - SLP's decided to use it so we could offer the BEST material possible. If you question the longevity of 304, look at what the race team, race marine and high end manufacturers use.....304ss.

Could you please be more specific as to which racers and high end manufactures use 304-

From my end I know Racers that dont use 304-

The worlds fastest Civic
The Saleen S7
Panoz
Jack Roush
Steve Saleen
Several NMRA racers

Of course the "real" high end race cars use titanium, and of course Magnaflow does make titanium exhaust systems as well, however as most guys on this board probably dont care about our full titanium race systems not intended for street use, I will keep the discussion to stainless steel....

Magnaflow Exhaust is the exclusive exhaust of the Ivan Stewart Pro Truck Series, and the exclusive exhaust for Grave Digger as well....

In both cases the 400 series we use, has been more then durable enough

I know SLP makes parts for GM, but so do we......

Not to mention there are several other "high end" manufactures that I am not at liberty to say, but dont use 304

Honestly I say the 304 argument and the 4"" series argument is not worth arguing because each side has its own points, as I have all ready discussed this with David Borla several times and after 3 pages of arguing, we decided to agree to disagree.....

As far as quality, Magnaflow to this day is still the only ISO9001 certified aftermarket exhaust manufacturer in the world, and we feel that a specially treated 400 series is the way to go

SLP's LM system is built ENTIRELY from 304 ss. We do not use ANY fiberglass or packing. Nothing to wear out here.

If you dont use any packing, what would absorb the sound?

If you are not using anything to absorb the sound, then it would sound the same as straight pipes which it doesnt, unless of course you are using a baffled design which hp wise is inferior to the straight through desing in terms of hp.

Of course last time we cut open a SLP muffler, we found packing in it, so I guess we need to buy another one to cut open.....but there are only two ways for a muffler to work....

Sound cancellation- Chambers or
Sound Antinuation- Absorbtion

Or do you use your own special packing that is not fiberglass? and I misunderstood what you typed?

Simply not true. GM trucks use the SAME band clamps SLP uses to clamp in the cats on the 6.0L trucks. BTW, clamping in the cats is MORE expensive.

True, however GM has robots to install the clamps to specific tolerances, I guess what I should say is that it is there is a higher then what we deem acceptable chance it will not pass....

True, there are people that do pass with the converter clamped in, however as we have been in the converter business for over 20 years, it is something that we have seen as a problem with the IM240 smog tests.....

Of course, maybe the exhaust shops could or could not be using the same clamps that you use, so only time will tell, I am just adding things I have learned after being in the converter industry for an extended period of time...

I just try to lend my experience whenever I can with converters, after I saw so many fellow Stangers dissapointed when their Bassani converters failed...

Welding vs Clamps expense wise can go either way, as every manufacturer operates differently.

:flag:[/QUOTE]

I just wanted to add, that here at Magnaflow, we definitely respect the SLP product. By no way, was I trying to say that SLP makes a bad product, because after inspecting your new Mustang system personally it is a good product.

I personally, would choose SLP over Borla or Flowmaster......if I had to choose between the three......

I am only trying to mention the things we do different, and why we do things our particular way, and why we think our way is better....

Of course I am aware, that you will have your reasons as well for doing things differently then us as well.....

and thats what makes this business fun.....

Hopefully you will continue in this debate, as I think this will be good for both of us.......and the people on the board

GNN60GT500 said:
Round Two- Ding

304 ss is far superior to all 400 series ss. Bottom line is that it is more expensive - SLP's decided to use it so we could offer the BEST material possible. If you question the longevity of 304, look at what the race team, race marine and high end manufacturers use.....304ss.

Could you please be more specific as to which racers and high end manufactures use 304-

From my end I know Racers that dont use 304-

The worlds fastest Civic
The Saleen S7
Panoz
Jack Roush
Steve Saleen
Several NMRA racers

Of course the "real" high end race cars use titanium, and of course Magnaflow does make titanium exhaust systems as well, however as most guys on this board probably dont care about our full titanium race systems not intended for street use, I will keep the discussion to stainless steel....

Magnaflow Exhaust is the exclusive exhaust of the Ivan Stewart Pro Truck Series, and the exclusive exhaust for Grave Digger as well....

In both cases the 400 series we use, has been more then durable enough

I know SLP makes parts for GM, but so do we......

Not to mention there are several other "high end" manufactures that I am not at liberty to say, but dont use 304

Honestly I say the 304 argument and the 4"" series argument is not worth arguing because each side has its own points, as I have all ready discussed this with David Borla several times and after 3 pages of arguing, we decided to agree to disagree.....

As far as quality, Magnaflow to this day is still the only ISO9001 certified aftermarket exhaust manufacturer in the world, and we feel that a specially treated 400 series is the way to go

SLP's LM system is built ENTIRELY from 304 ss. We do not use ANY fiberglass or packing. Nothing to wear out here.

If you dont use any packing, what would absorb the sound?

If you are not using anything to absorb the sound, then it would sound the same as straight pipes which it doesnt, unless of course you are using a baffled design which hp wise is inferior to the straight through desing in terms of hp.

Of course last time we cut open a SLP muffler, we found packing in it, so I guess we need to buy another one to cut open.....but there are only two ways for a muffler to work....

Sound cancellation- Chambers or
Sound Antinuation- Absorbtion

Or do you use your own special packing that is not fiberglass? and I misunderstood what you typed?

Simply not true. GM trucks use the SAME band clamps SLP uses to clamp in the cats on the 6.0L trucks. BTW, clamping in the cats is MORE expensive.

True, however GM has robots to install the clamps to specific tolerances, I guess what I should say is that it is there is a higher then what we deem acceptable chance it will not pass....

True, there are people that do pass with the converter clamped in, however as we have been in the converter business for over 20 years, it is something that we have seen as a problem with the IM240 smog tests.....

Of course, maybe the exhaust shops could or could not be using the same clamps that you use, so only time will tell, I am just adding things I have learned after being in the converter industry for an extended period of time...

I just try to lend my experience whenever I can with converters, after I saw so many fellow Stangers dissapointed when their Bassani converters failed...

Welding vs Clamps expense wise can go either way, as every manufacturer operates differently.

:flag:

I just wanted to add, that here at Magnaflow, we definitely respect the SLP product. By no way, was I trying to say that SLP makes a bad product, because after inspecting your new Mustang system personally it is a good product.

I personally, would choose SLP over Borla or Flowmaster......if I had to choose between the three......

I am only trying to mention the things we do different, and why we do things our particular way, and why we think our way is better....

Of course I am aware, that you will have your reasons as well for doing things differently then us as well.....

and thats what makes this business fun.....

Hopefully you will continue in this debate, as I think this will be good for both of us.......and the people on the board[/QUOTE]

attachment.php

Attachments

• balki.jpg
    balki.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 229
snowb07 said:
hello
how long are the o2 sims. they sent? If they are the plugin type (wich seems like they are ) they just plug in between the o2 sensor plugs . so they will look like extenders. but they should only be about 4-6 inches max.
-fred

Also one more :nice: for Slp

I juts order my loudmouth + x-pipe with cats :)

The things i was sent were identical to the O2 exterders, length, plug, etc. So thats what they have to be. Oh well they re open tomorrow so I'll let you guys know what the deal was.