How hard is it to put cams in a 2 valve?

Im thinking about putting some vt cams in my 'o1, I have enough mechanical ability that i have put aluminum heads roller rockers and a cam in my 88 fox, but I was wondering how hard it would be to put cams in a 4.6 for a guy like myself

• Sponsors (?)

hahahahaha, Oxycontin and Somas, I ran outa hydros yesterday. Wish I had some vailume. Dont drink or do any drugs, so to speak, so I figured I would up the meds a little to "enhance" new years. This is the first time I dont have anyone to kiss on the zero hour, well except for dad, and thats just wrong. To swap cams you have to remove everything you do for a OHV but now there are two chains and the radiator dont have to come out to slide the cams out. Also I think there is some kinda tool to hold the tensioners back when doing the work. Alot of guys on here have done cams and can help better, just wait a couple days for the parting to cool down. Also make sure to get a repaire manuel cus there is a very specific sequence to torqing down the cam girdle.

The last post about hydrocodones is from me 68stang351, I thought I switched users, but it won't let me. Anyway, one time when I (68stang351) and 306notchback were doing the engine swap in my wife's 90, we almost got in a fight after a long day and a lot of coors light, and I hit my backdoor and broke my hand.

Anyway, we made up about five minutes later, and I went to the hospital and got pins in my hand a subscription for hydrocodones. It was some good ****. All this cost me about 5k though.:notnice:

I have mild cams. So iI still run the stock valve springs.

I used a cam retention tool. I just removed the valve covers then loosened the cam sprocket bolts. After that I removed the lifters and followers. Then I inserted the cam retention tool. After this I held the the tool and the sprocket while my son unbolted the cam tower caps removed the old cam and reinstalled the new one. Then I blead the lifters and intalled them along with the followers. One side done repeat for other.

I retuned and picked up over 80 hp because of the blower.

hahahahaha, Oxycontin and Somas, I ran outa hydros yesterday. Wish I had some vailume. Dont drink or do any drugs.

Just because they come from a pharmacy doesn't mean they are not drugs. Many people abuse those.

if your not changing springs then it's not too bad,I highly recomend pulling the front cover then using the cam retention tool,then at least you can inspect guides etc. if you have to change springs,then it becomes a bitch, esp with a romeo

Just because they come from a pharmacy doesn't mean they are not drugs. Many people abuse those.

Ya, I know and I was jus playing around, by "drugs" I ment pot, speed, cocain, meth and alcohol. Although if pot was legal I would def partake:D And you know if I have a script for Oxy it must not be for something good:( So lighten up and enjoy life, its way too short.:D Im just glad I have a Stang to enjoy it with:)

I have done it twice now for the same person. Once to put the cams in and again to remove the cams. Not worth the 6hp gain and the car ran better with boost without them. Cams for the 4.6 are not worth the cost or the work to install. Just my opinion but then I would not own a 4.6. LOL

I have done it twice now for the same person. Once to put the cams in and again to remove the cams. Not worth the 6hp gain and the car ran better with boost without them. Cams for the 4.6 are not worth the cost or the work to install. Just my opinion but then I would not own a 4.6. LOL

please elaborate further on why cams are not worth it in a 2v car

The engine has weak bottom end torque to start with and it is even worse when you change the cams. The OHC design of the 4.6 has limited rpm range which should be a benefit of OHC but Ford did not design the head correctly to allow some high rpm range. Spending $1k+ for cam and labor if you don't do it yourself to gain 6-10hp is just crazy since you will need a Tuning device and other parts to allow the cams to give you that 6-10hp. I just don't see the cam change as a real benefit and even on a built 4.6 I have never seen any real HP improvements. I am sure I have read magazines that have done the cam swap they got 14hp@6200. Even if you get that 14hp how can you support the cost per HP. I have done the install with the correct tools and it is a lot of work for such little power improvement.

The engine has weak bottom end torque to start with and it is even worse when you change the cams. The OHC design of the 4.6 has limited rpm range which should be a benefit of OHC but Ford did not design the head correctly to allow some high rpm range. Spending $1k+ for cam and labor if you don't do it yourself to gain 6-10hp is just crazy since you will need a Tuning device and other parts to allow the cams to give you that 6-10hp. I just don't see the cam change as a real benefit and even on a built 4.6 I have never seen any real HP improvements. I am sure I have read magazines that have done the cam swap they got 14hp@6200. Even if you get that 14hp how can you support the cost per HP. I have done the install with the correct tools and it is a lot of work for such little power improvement.

i disagree with everything here besides the heads not flowing enough:)
but labor is crazy, do it yourself with someone who's has done it before.