how hard to do springs?

• Sponsors (?)

I got them because the guy I bought them from was selling them for about halfprice, and they were only on his car for about 200 miles. plus i like the stiffer spring rates they provide. I expect the ride to be a bit stiffer and the car be more firmly planted

trust me, ask anyone. don't do it. I just experienced c springs in person. They are an awesome spring, but the isolators should stay out so you will get enough drop for it to look good and be worthwhile. They really aren't needed, and they will take away another 3/8 in. drop. We saw roughly a 1.25in drop all around without isolators and it looked good. Anything less and you will prob. be disappointed.

they prob. won't squeek. its really not that big of a deal to take them out. Do a c spring search and you will see that almost everyone that has them doesn't use isolators. If it bothers you that much, just get supersports and leave the isolators in, but since you got these for around $50 then just put them in and be happy.

make sure you have a good breaker bar and some penatrating lube and a hammer for the lower strut nuts and bolts mine were a real bear to get off. I agree with rio my tokico's didn't sit right in front compared to the rear with the isolators in so i had to tear it apart 2weeks ago. I took the top isolator out completely and put some clear hose(from home depot the wall thickness of the new hose is only an 1/8 in compared to the OG"s near 1/2in) on the bottom of the coil(just to prevent rust). doing that got the car to sit level instead of the nose high stance it had. I have had no squeaks but it does seem to transmit a little more road noise no biggy though with a loud car.

rio95 said:
they prob. won't squeek. .

Yeah they will squeek, its metal on metal, how will it not?. I left my Isolators in

Give the C Springs some time, they will settle and the car will look better. Once I brought mine out from sitting all winter I noticed a diffrence from the way it looked before after it sat for awhile

slytherin said:
make sure you have a good breaker bar and some penatrating lube and a hammer for the lower strut nuts and bolts mine were a real bear to get off. I agree with rio my tokico's didn't sit right in front compared to the rear with the isolators in so i had to tear it apart 2weeks ago. I took the top isolator out completely and put some clear hose(from home depot the wall thickness of the new hose is only an 1/8 in compared to the OG"s near 1/2in) on the bottom of the coil(just to prevent rust). doing that got the car to sit level instead of the nose high stance it had. I have had no squeaks but it does seem to transmit a little more road noise no biggy though with a loud car.
you dont have to take off the lower strut nuts. Just leave the strut connected at the bottom and unbolt the top, the A-arm will come down enough and you should be able to just pop the spring out.

Maybe this should be a new thread, but here goes. I need to do ball joints, and I have a set of new take-off GT springs and struts to install at the same time. Haynes and Chilton say to use a spring compressor to get the spring out, but Rudeone's suggestion of dropping the top of the strut enough to get the spring out sounds easier and safer to me. Once the spring is out of the picture, it's straightforward to do the rest. What's the group's opinion?

It really depends on your car, but on my buddies car, we left the back isolators in only (b/c it is a vert) and has a perfect stance; almost level, but a little rack. it looks just right. i kept all the isolators in on my car and my front is still quite a bit lower than his without isolators. Also, i just got back from riding in his car all night and i didn't hear a single squeek the whole time.

KVacek said:
Maybe this should be a new thread, but here goes. I need to do ball joints, and I have a set of new take-off GT springs and struts to install at the same time. Haynes and Chilton say to use a spring compressor to get the spring out, but Rudeone's suggestion of dropping the top of the strut enough to get the spring out sounds easier and safer to me. Once the spring is out of the picture, it's straightforward to do the rest. What's the group's opinion?

Spring compressor is the SAFER way to go. But, I used one on the first set I did, and, what a PITA!! the last 2 sets I did, I just let the arm down with a floor jack after undoing the strut bolt on top. Then just lever them out. Make SURE the floor jack is in place BEFORE you take off the strut bolt. BTW, you may need to use an impact wrench to unscrew the strut mount bolt. It's not under a lot of presure, but you have to spin it faster than the strut rod can spin....