How has your CAI + Tune affected your mileage?

• Sponsors (?)

stock: 22.5 avg mpg
JLT II cai & canned SCT tune on "fuel economy" setting: 23.8 avg mpg
JLT II cai & cannned SCT tune on "normal" setting: 23.2 avg mpg
JLT II cai & BamaChips 93 Performance tune: 23.2 avg mpg (I also added cmrc plates)

I have an aFe CAI and a tune from Paul's High Performance that was in an SCT XCalibrator-2. It was an 87 octane tune. My gas mileage going back and forth to work stayed the same at 19-20 mpg. That's about 2/3 local streets and 1/3 freeway. The tune is not a race tune. But, they did a good job of providing significantly more power, eliminating throttle lag, and the shifts are very firm on WOT (I have an auto). In traffic, the shifts are still like stock. Pricey mod ($700) but well worth it.

So the general consensus is with a good CAI and a proper tune....you get better driveability, more HP, and no change in gas mileage/possible improvement. Even with 87 octane.

Of course, all of that is void because we all know with more HP, you have to open it up once in a while :)

Pro Mod said:
stock: 22.5 avg mpg
JLT II cai & canned SCT tune on "fuel economy" setting: 23.8 avg mpg
JLT II cai & cannned SCT tune on "normal" setting: 23.2 avg mpg
JLT II cai & BamaChips 93 Performance tune: 23.2 avg mpg (I also added cmrc plates)

What are you doing, pushing your car? :D C&L w/ Xcal2 and Brent's 93 tune. About 15mpg city and 17mpg highway. Of course, highway doesn't count since I'm running about 135mph+ all the time. :nice:

You will like the performance you get with a CAI and a good tune, but as allcarfan says, you will also be trying out that performance a bunch when you first get it. So, you might be seeing mpg down in the 14-15 range until you lighten up on the old right foot. The mileage I quoted was for when I am acting like a responsible citizen.

Thats interesting, I haven't got mine yet, and my stock Gt auto averages between 20 and 23 mpg even when I'm being bad....really bad. Go figure. There was one time I only got 19 mpg and that was running hard all day on the freeway and no cops around.:shrug:

allcarfan said:
are the first two tunes on 87 or 93 octane?

I ran 87 Octane when I had the stock tune in it. The only time I put 93 in it with the stock tune was the tank fill before I put the cai/tuner on.

Every tune I've ran since then was for 93 Octane. I really liked that "fuel economy" option in the canned SCT tune. It really made a mpg difference, but I could also tell a difference with the throttle lag LOL.

scramblr said:
What are you doing, pushing your car? :D C&L w/ Xcal2 and Brent's 93 tune. About 15mpg city and 17mpg highway. Of course, highway doesn't count since I'm running about 135mph+ all the time. :nice:

I do use my cruise control alot and I try not to spend ALOT of time in town with the red lights. In-town driving does KILL my mpg. Here, we have alot of the long, curvy, winding country roads. So after I get out of town, I just usually set my cruise at about 50-55 mph and there's only 3-4 curves and a couple railroad tracks where I have to turn it off. I do gouge on it through a couple straight-stretches every couple days, but generally I do drive the car pretty sedately having the cruise on. But I do go to the track a couple times a month to, so that is also factored into the avg mpg in the message center.

My avg speed on the message center hovers from 39-40 mph, so that usually has a relation to most people's mpg.