How many gallons of coolant do you use?

Busted07

I need my gorilla to be about an inch longer.
Nov 15, 2005
What i mean is, assuming you use the green stuff, how many gallons of actual coolant do you use in your car and what ratio of water do you add?

Im about to fill mine up, and want to pre-mix it before.

The block and everything is new, with no coolant in it whatsoever, so how much coolant will our cars hold total (not just the radiator)?

(this is on a 91 LX 306 by the way)

• Sponsors (?)

it's a 50/50 mix of water and coolant. not sure how much they hold, iirc when i filled mine up after rebuilding it, i put like one or one and a half things of coolant in there then just filled the rest with water. my car gets to right above the "A" in "NORMAL" on the factory gauge and never goes any higher.

Thanks for all of the input. Ill probably buy 2 gallons of coolant, put one gallon in, fill the rest with water, then see how it goes from there.

Usually just over 2 gallons. I go 50/50 green stuff only. Dex cool is garbage...GM found that to be the gremlin eating away at their gaskets and corroding aluminum parts. You should see the GM engines we get in here....eeeekkk.

I hated my Lightning....4 gallons in the engine, and 2 gallons in the heat exchanger....talk about an expensive coolant change!!!!