How many miles per tank do you get?

jas142

Founding Member
Feb 11, 2002
Please state the year, model, and transmission and how many miles per TANK you're getting. To findout, fill up all the way, and reset trip odometer and either wait till the little gascan comes on to refill, or just wait till you have exactly 1/2 talk left and multiply the mileage by 2.

• Sponsors (?)

I do this on every tank, mainly because its a better indicator than the gas gauge of when I have to fill up.

2003 GT 4.6L Automatic here. 15.7 gallon tank, from what I've heard

On average, I'll get betwee 275 and 285 miles to a tank. I fill up when the low fuel light goes on.

Best tank I've ever got was 305 miles. That was on a trip to San Luis Obispo with the cruise set at 80-85. Worst was 250 the week I got it because I loved flooring it.

Ok guys I'm getting like 170 per tank so somthing is definately wrong. I can't bring it to the ford dealer because I have an offroad X pipe so I'll be totally ****ed and they'll void my warranty. What should I do? This sucks, I have no clue why I'm runnin so horribley rich and getting such bad gas mileage.

jas142 said:
Ok guys I'm getting like 170 per tank so somthing is definately wrong. I can't bring it to the ford dealer because I have an offroad X pipe so I'll be totally ****ed and they'll void my warranty. What should I do? This sucks, I have no clue why I'm runnin so horribley rich and getting such bad gas mileage.
Take it to a dyno and get your A/F tuned. I bet you're just running really rich.

I called steeda (they're about 30 mins away from me) and the guy was a dick. He told me that dyno tuning it with a diablo chip wouldn't help at all and that there was nothing I could do. I thought they'd KNOW about cars at steeda. Its freakin $150/hr PLUS the chip to have them dyno tune it too.

jas142 said:
and you fill up 15.7 gallons? or until the light comes on?
i get about 180-190 until the light comes on, like 13.0 gallons

those are the bad days, 14 some MPG

i thougth I was rich but the dyno showed otherwise... :doh:

This past weekend I drove from Oklahoma City, OK to Ft. Hood, TX. I averaged 75-80MPH. I reset my trip odometer when I filled up in OKC and I was at 352 miles at Ft. Hood with no fuel light on, it looked like it had about an 1/8th left. 1996 GT 5spd. I guess I averaged about 23MPG.

Can you really get an accurate amount by useing half and double it? What if the guage is not actually half. I have driven many cars where the it seemed the first half went quicker or vice versa. The fill it up, odometer thing is much more accurate. Just a thought to share.

jas142 said:

Put your stock H-pipe back on and see if that fixes it. If it does, thats your problem. If not, take it back while the stocker is on.

I get anywhere from 250 up to 300 miles. When I fill up though, it usually only takes from 14 to 14.5 gallons. :shrug: Guess my low fuel light is trigger happy. :D Only one time did I take over 15 gallons (and barely).

Just filled up today and calculated it to a little over 21mpg (I normally get 18.5, and that's getting on it quite often). If you hate/worry about/fear 4.10's, bite me, there's proof that they :owned: you. :banana: That was with lots of highway driving too at those RIDICULOUS 4.10 rpm's. :rolleyes:

My car eats gas weird. I think I get about 5-10 mpg when Im normally driving it (non highway), and 25 on the highway. This isn't all too unrealistic, even though it sounds as such.

I've gotten as little as 125 miles to most of a tank (filling I am near E). I've gotten as much as 300 all highway. I have a 2000GT with 3.73 gears, offroad X and SLP catback.

ChrisXoxide2 said:
My car eats gas weird. I think I get about 5-10 mpg when Im normally driving it (non highway), and 25 on the highway. This isn't all too unrealistic, even though it sounds as such.

I've gotten as little as 125 miles to most of a tank (filling I am near E). I've gotten as much as 300 all highway. I have a 2000GT with 3.73 gears, offroad X and SLP catback.
WHAT?!?!?
that sounds crazy...