HOW MUCH for a gear install?

Susky

Oct 5, 2005
Mechanicsburg, PA
I was just visitng my local Firestone shop, and I asked if they would do a gear install. He said they could, and he quoted my a price approaching $400, not counting parts.

I almost fell over.

Any tips on the kind of place I should look for when shopping for a mechanic to do this job? I figure this is something that most run-of-the-mill chain garages don't handle on a regular basis.

• Sponsors (?)

Mossberg said:
Never go to firestone. :nono:

LOL...I was lured by the proximity of the shop (it's across the street from my office). They will be putting in my X and catback, but I figure they can't screw much up there.

Try some local speedshops. Also the truck shops. Some have had Ford dealers do the install.

Thanks. I'll check around. The speedshops are a PITA to get to. The Ford dealer might actually work out. I'll have to give them a ring. (ugh...sorry)

You need a friend that works at a dealership ;)

Just call around and get quotes. Paying a bit higher for a shop thats known to do well isn't out of the question since you don't want any gear whine.

I probably would have already had it done if I found a place @ $400! That's good. I had 3 estimates and the lowest was $550 and they made sure I knew that was "just an estimate".

bdcardinal said:
$400 for a gear install is hella cheap. ive heard of people around here paying between $800-1000 for a gear install not including parts.

wtf, 400? Does this come with a hand job and a free ball wax?

for 400 and up you better be getting something special.

You get what you pay for. I've heard of guys going the cheap route and then having problems afterwards. My local mechanic who I trust very much is saying $900 for labor and parts. He wants to warrenty the parts and his labor. He's pretty good. I've heard of guys getting $300 install jobs and discount internet gear kits. Just be weary. Use common sense. I haven't had mine done yet but when I do it will be with a good warrenty.

Good advice. My Motive gears (and kit) I got from RPMoutlet after I got some good recommendations from some other folks. I'm hoping the install kit has everything I need except the oil...so my big cost now should be labor.

GDawg said:
You get what you pay for. I've heard of guys going the cheap route and then having problems afterwards. My local mechanic who I trust very much is saying $900 for labor and parts. He wants to warrenty the parts and his labor. He's pretty good. I've heard of guys getting $300 install jobs and discount internet gear kits. Just be weary. Use common sense. I haven't had mine done yet but when I do it will be with a good warrenty.

Gary either Scott will do it for around 300 (with fluids) and warranty their work as well

I got quoted 600$+ for gear install from a transmission shop:eek:

I did my gears at a Ford Dealership(the dealership owner's son works there, and I am good friends with him) for 265$ in labour(4 hours) and bearings and couple of seals, came out to 370$.