how much it cost to run low 12's

• Sponsors (?)

A lot depends on the weight of the car. One of my customers did 12.7@107mph with long tubes, ported E7 heads and a ported stock lower intake with the stock cam retarded 4*, but his car was an 87 coupe (trunk) that weighed 3,100#. He dynoed 243RWHP ans 292RWTQ, - had less than $1,000 invested.

it is nearly impossible to do low 12s with only investing 2k on a stock 5.0.

you would have to drop the weight of the car a full 1000 pounds. have some awesome driving. run wrinkle wall slicks.

id say invest $500 in heads and get the best port and polish, valve job job and aggressive cams u can. and with the best tune u might be able to hit low 12s. but u would have to have some great work done to ur car.

I spent less then 3000 on my H/C/I I got powerheads for $650 powerheads.com im happy with them they got the flow charts on there site and I got A B cam $165 and a cobra intake about $400 that combo on a stock bottom end should go 12's all day long.

full suspension, slicks, h/c/i, gears will defintly get u in the low 12's maybe if u just do a full suspension and gears, a few boltons, and good drag radials or slick u can get low 13's, mid 12's, but its really all about traction, and of course u have to have some power, but traction will get u ur 60' times which help in the long run, thats when u would need the power goin down the track but if u have no power u wont be able to get it down, well in the end i would say 3-4k for low 12's depending on what u do, or u could be an awsome driver like 25th who has bolt ons intake and drag tires and runs 12.6's

schittystang is along the lines that Im thinking. I wouldnt even screw with the motor. You can do a JYTT (junkyard twin turbo) for cheap. Build your own, look on ebay or go in the turbo mustangs classifieds. As an alternative Ill suggest running a 150 shot of nos. I dont know why people who are concerned with a cost effective fast car are against it. But you cant deny the results, and money left in your pocket for more mods.

um h/c/i ? i think head cam and what the i intake? i think i will add a supercharger but im not sure how about rims and tires im pretty sure i can fit 10 1/2 wide rims on but what are some nice light rims and good tires yall would say for street not track?

listen, 3grand will buy you a long block, and with weight reduction, A full exhaust (flowtech long tubes off road x pipe and warlock mufflers with turndowns for best pricing) gears, slicks/drag radials, ac delete, mass air, throttle body, intake and injectors you should be able to go well into the 12's for like 1500 bucks if your car is notch. This will also set you up for a cam and heads later.

KevinsGtp said:
um h/c/i ? i think head cam and what the i intake? i think i will add a supercharger but im not sure how about rims and tires im pretty sure i can fit 10 1/2 wide rims on but what are some nice light rims and good tires yall would say for street not track?

9.5" rims are usually the widest you can fit in the back without fenderwell modification or air bag suspension lift.

I know everybody is gonna disagree but I figure about 4k to go low 12's consitently on the motor without doing anything exotic. My total includes an complete set of Draglites with slicks. Without getting into details you need the following:
Slicks,Gears,Exhaust,Heads,Intake,Cam,Mass Air,TB, a little suspension (minimal). There is alot of stuff that will be supplementary to these items. I'm sure this can be achieved for less but for the sake of argument I'm talking about low 12's every time you make a pass. The total $'s would/could increase if you want to do it alot. You would have to buy some extra heavy duty stuff.

I think you could get into the really high 12's consistently for 2k. You could get away with stock heads and cam. Then you would need exhaust,gears,slicks and some other minor stuff and do it all day long.

You could cut these costs considerably if you bought everything used.

tmoss said:
A lot depends on the weight of the car. One of my customers did 12.7@107mph with long tubes, ported E7 heads and a ported stock lower intake with the stock cam retarded 4*, but his car was an 87 coupe (trunk) that weighed 3,100#. He dynoed 243RWHP ans 292RWTQ, - had less than $1,000 invested.

TMoss: Did that less than $1000 include the cost of his tires and exhaust? Did the car also have an aftermarket Mass air or TB, gears....add that on with the price of gaskets and you are at least at 2k....right?

gears 165
LT's 150
off road H 120
catback 270
slicks 300
ported E7's 400
24lb inj's 200
custom cam 330
springs 125
tmoss lower 150
MAM 200
gaskets 100

all told that's 2510... Hope you can install h/c/i and gears... otherwise add 200 for gears, and 8 hours shop time($50) for h/c/i/ install ~3110.

Not sure how you'd do it cheaper, and you could certianly spend more on any of the above mentioned items.

Heres my current tally

s/c kit-$1500(brand new)
Bassani L/T, X pipe, flowmaster catback(used) $500
190lph pump-$100
30lbers-$100
slicks-$150
Bov-$20

Total-$2370

Best et as of yet is 12.7@107, with a better rear end gear(2.73's own me) low 12's would easily be achieved, so I guess a ballpark figure to run lows 12's would be $2500 give or take a few hundred