how much power possible with Ported E7s?

All dyno numbers are actually just for that engine... Power heads says 38 HP, that could be way conservative!! with the combination that THEY were using, the net was 38 HP... but different Cam and it could go to 58 HP, or wrong intake and be 28 HP.. see what I mean?? It really is only a guide on that combo AND engine!! There are 5.0s picking up 90-100 RWHP with Ported heads and cam/intakes, then there are only 50 RWHP... example...5.0 Mag did an article called "having our heads examined" remember it?? STOCK E7 heads on the engine pulled 271.5 @ 5200 ( on that test engine) and a set of AFR165s pulled 300.9 @ 5200 rpm.. for the cost of the AFRs and all the add'l stuff to get them working... a net diff of 29.4 HP ???!! ( for over $2000.00) But along the same lines... stuff Those AFRs on a bigger cam, better fuel and induction... and you might make that 2 K spent be worth it!! Dynos.. gotta read the engine ..... not the numbers!! Or going the other way..car craft did an article on the 400 HP on pump fuel... remember that one??? 400 HP!! and that was with a set of worked PORTED HEADS!!!! again... Dyno numbers.. It is More than heads that make the power... Usually its the money!! dont cha think?? There is no doubt in MY mind that the Powerheads are worth a lot more than 38 HP!! ( when done right..) there is over 400+ useable HP in the heads.... just have to work to get that power from them.... have fun with the engine... Build it the best you can "afford" and be happy with what you end up with...cool??

Just me.................................

Thumper

• Sponsors (?)

See Mike...I'm a pessamist/realist and honestly I even think the 38RWHP Powerheads got out of the STOCKERS is way too much...granted that was on a stock engine (i.e, stock cam, tb, maf...etc) just with the heads swap...or so I was told...I will soon find out...I got them dirt cheap and those are only going on as a temporary setup until I can make some real HP with a strocker setup I've always wanted...I also wanted to do a stock ported casting as well but can't afford another car with a different setup...LOL...But anywho, I will let everyone know the outcome for sure...You are right though...a properset up combo will net 100RWHP...I did that already with my set of P&P GT-40X head, GT-40 intake an FTI cam along with the rest of the bolt ons...Do I think I can do the same with the Powerheads and a stock upper/systemax 1 lower alnog with the rest of the bolt ons? NOT likely...My guess about 70RWHP over stock...and that's with a NA setup...You can only get so much out of heads that are 145cc...I might be really wrong here since I have proof regarding this argument but I soon will...My prediction...killer low-mid end...car won't pull past 5500RPM...does that sound about right?

This is interesting. I have been talking with Todd Savidge lately (NMRA Factory Stock racer) and he recently had the car dynoed. It has a 306 non lightweight bottem end, E7s that have not been ported, but have been milled with larger valves and valve job, stock cam that I am sure has been retarded or advanced, along with all the other goodies on the motor. I know he went 12.06 @ 112.9 at the last NMRA event in GA, and I am curious to see what he dynoed. I have a feeling it is 300rwhp or very close to it.

My combo should hit the rollers soon, and then get some trac times.

Again...I am not a racer...but from my understanding especially with the factory stock class porting is not allowed...not sure about bigger valves and valve jobs...but anyways I highly doubt bigger valves/vavle job are worth 300RWHP with ALL the bolt ons...ESPECIALLY with a stock cam...I have never seen a combo with a stock cam break 300RWHP...But that doesn't mean it hasn't happened...I just never saw one...The times by the factory stock racer are really good but how much does his car weigh? what is his suspension set up? What gear is he running out back? Suspension is EVERYTHING in that class...so those numbers are not too far off from the truth...makes me sick if you think about it...instead of investing my money on the motor I should just invest it in suspension...The stock motor with suspension set up is capable of low 13's stock...

instead of investing my money on the motor I should just invest it in suspension...The stock motor with suspension set up is capable of low 13's stock...

That's what i'm thinking. Power is only capable of doing what the suspension lets it do. As far as heads go, what's the point of putting AFRs or some other high end head on a stock motor anyways? If you're going to go, go all the way. Personally id rather spend 800 or so and buy Thumpers and a cam, and spend the rest of my money on suspension mods.

Geezzz do none of you people read mm & ff magazine. with stock unported e7's with different valve springs they got 380 hp and something like 430 ft lbs with a 393 stroker vic jr intake and I dont remember the cam I could find the specs if you want them. (rustling through archives icon) I beleive this all came below 6000 rpm to boot. See all you need is a bigger motor :D. Or a big blower then you dont need different heads ;).

If it makes you all feel better my car hangs in the 12.7 area with welfare ported e5 castings and 19 lb/hr injectors with 20 year old valve springs LMAO. I need to spend some more money. But it does work. valve float and fuel starvation is fun.

Exactly! The times are what counts and how well can you put the horse power the ground. Every aspect of my suspension has been replaced and my car has lost a few hundred pounds. I would be curios to see what my new combo runs on the 1/4... if I ever take it out there.

Tim

LOL.... sat nite... your car is waxed and shining, the two chamber flows are sounding sweet!! your girl is next to you and Knows that this is the baddest 5.0 in the town ( you told her!!) and SHE is ready to get in anyones face if the "dis" ya!! Slowly , you pull into the parking lot!! you know your bad... you just spent a lot of hard work and money over the last two weeks on your car!! Its Sweet.. and your girl is Gleeming!!

You pull into your spot and hit the gas... the engine rips to 3500 and you turn it off! feeling good, diging your chick diging you!! ahhh... Life is good!!

Then in comes this primered POS 5.0... trashy is all you can think, But... whats that sound?? OMG ....Killer cam, engine at a lopy 1500 rpm idle , the Flows are calling out the baddest MoFo in the lot... The sound is un real... your girl is now LOCKED into the greasy haired driver of the "badest sounding car in the lot".... she turns and looks at you... smiles and gets out !! And THAT my friends is why we build the engine and exhaust, INSTEAD of the suspension!! RIGHT??? LOL Oh by the way, you handed the guy his doors later that nite in a drag race, cause all the mods you did was in the suspension!!! the girl??? Hell all dragracers like a soft tail!! LOL

Just me...................... Having Fun

Thumper

hey guys, i was just wondering which head will make more power or are they about the same, powerheads or thumpers. I see alot more people running thumpers, i got my powerheads used but almost brand new he didn't run them for that many miles he claims. I got them for 400 including shipping, do more people recommend thumper becuase of their price? Or do they perform better? thanks nick

mustangramair said:
hey guys, i was just wondering which head will make more power or are they about the same, powerheads or thumpers. I see alot more people running thumpers, i got my powerheads used but almost brand new he didn't run them for that many miles he claims. I got them for 400 including shipping, do more people recommend thumper becuase of their price? Or do they perform better? thanks nick

I had a thread about that not too long ago...the good thing about powerheads is that they are CNC ported and the flow # are more consistent...I'm by no means doubting Mike's work and I'm sure that a PROPERLY PORTED E7TE heads can flow...there are people that think otherwise as with everything...The only reason I myself went with Powerheads is because I got a deal on them...Personally I don't think stock castings are worth the money especially the price powerheads charges, however, there are numerous number of people that had success with stock ported castings...so they must flow...I will share my experience with stock ported castings as soon as they are on my car...The only real difference I can think of is the Thumper heads MAY make more TQ down low due to the smaller valves, however, the Powerheads MAY perform better in the higher RPM's due to the bigger vavles...BUT there are way too many variables involves such as cam, intake etc...to make that assumption...

Thanks, i will have mine on in about a month after i am done with school. I don't know what to expect but it just seems more people are going with thumpers. Thanks you gave me a good idea of what the difference is between them

mustangramair said:
Thanks, i will have mine on in about a month after i am done with school. I don't know what to expect but it just seems more people are going with thumpers. Thanks you gave me a good idea of what the difference is between them

one thing to keep in mind is the $$$ factor...usually people who are going with stock castings are on a budget and a better deal gets the sale...I think you will be happy with powerheads...remember that a smaller head ported will make more low end and mid range power than a bigger head...so as far as light to light racing a head that is 145cc will perform better than a head that is 178cc or more...but on the highway it's a different story... :D

What good is a big cam when the heads can't flow that much? You can't have a big cam and have it streetable...it's either one or the other...I don't know about thumper heads but powerheads doesn't recommend anything past .520 lift on a cam simply because the heads won't flow alot past that...