How much punishment can the stock rear-end take?

I'm interrested in getting 4.10s and running either drag radials or slicks, but I'm afraid i'm going to break my rear end. So what's the deal? On a car like mine, which doesn't have much more power than stock, will the stock rear hold up to a good deal of punishment, or should i build it up before using slicks, even on weak car like mine? What about a car like mine + 100-150 shot?

I'm wanting to be able to launch the mess out of it, but i mean it's not like i'll be doing it every day, just every once in a while, but when i do need it i dont want to blow the rear up and have to get a tow.

So will the stocker take the heat on a weak car?
Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

It might..it might not. Most likely depends on the condition of the components already in place..worn components (if worn)will break when abused. You should also consider welding up the torque boxes..far more of a pain if they decide to tear. IMO 410 is alot of gear for a street driven 5 spd but if racing is your thing then I say good luck. Last note..I know guys who leave the line at six grand on stock rear and slicks without problems..I also know of guys who've done the same and needed a flatbed to get home.

the factory rearend is really a crap shoot....i have seen some go 10s and some break running 13s.....i would upgrade to 31 spline stuff if you are thinking about doing some serious launching

I am running high 12's and high 7's in the eigth, launching on spray, with 1.9 sixty foot times with my 4.10 geared 7.5 in axle, on Drag Radials. Not sure how long it will last, but its 2 years into it now.

My big difference is that I have an automatic. A stick would be harder on the rear. And I do have an 8.8 in the garage to ward off evil spirits.

I agree with the description "crap shoot." But I would at least try it for awhile.

Ok cool. Is there any decent way to check the current condition of the rear? Like, are there any certain signs that till tell me if mine is in pretty good shape or what? I dont know much at all about that part of the car.

I'm probably going to go do a search on this but, just in case someone wants to answer it here, what exactly are the torque boxes? Can someone please take a picture or something so i'm srue? Is that the triangular part of the underbody where the lower control arm connects? If so, i was looking at mine when i had the back end up checking what sort of gears i have, and it's cracked/ripped, not a big one, probably like 2 inches at least though, i only checked the drivers side, dont know about the other side.

DMAN302 said:
It might..it might not. Most likely depends on the condition of the components already in place..worn components (if worn)will break when abused. You should also consider welding up the torque boxes..far more of a pain if they decide to tear. IMO 410 is alot of gear for a street driven 5 spd but if racing is your thing then I say good luck. Last note..I know guys who leave the line at six grand on stock rear and slicks without problems..I also know of guys who've done the same and needed a flatbed to get home.

I agree with dman because I had 4:10 with a stock rear without the torque boxes welded in and I tore the axles completely out anf had to get my **** towed and fixed and had them welded in with my subfram connectors and now I fell alot better when i go to the track with that stuff intack. I wouldn't recommend it cause I have been there.:Damnit:

You tear that torque box out of place and you'll be looking a some serious cash and downtime in a collision shop getting it repaired. Repairing that issue requireds a method to realign the axle to the body...nasty pain in the ***.

I've seen a guy snap a stock axel w/ slicks and put it right into the wall and lost the whole car, so whats the point of saying what it could take, if you can afford it, beaf it up is 600-1000 bucks worth your car or maybe your life ????

In my automatic car with a tight converter, I have made over 100 passes with a totally stock rear with 4.30's. My six foots typically run in the 1.68's.

I dont use the car as a daily driver and if it grenades, then I got what I earned. I still have stock control arms, posi, axles, brakes, c-clips and unwelded torque boxes.

Yeah i can see both sides of it. I think the weakest link i have right now are my u-joints though actually, need to get those replaced asap.

Ok so i really need to get my torque boxes welded/reinforced. I cant weld them myself, so i'll need to take them to a shop. Now if i walk into a body shop and say "I need to get my torque boxes welded" will they just look at me like i'm an idiot or will they actually know what i'm talking about? Will i need to find a mustang shop? What sort of money are we talking for that weld job?

Thanks for the help.

If you have the money just upgrade. Don't chance it. Now on the other hand, I do know guys getting away with using a stock rear. It will take some abuse. But time and power will eventually doom a stock rearend.