How much $$ to run 13.5's

Here's the deal: I've got a '94 Cobra with all the mods listed in my sig :rolleyes: . It's going to be my DD for at least 5 more years (get me through college), so I don't want to do nitrous or forced induction. How much should I plan on spending to run around 13.5? I've got BBK shorties and a BBK o/r H pipe on the way, thinking about underdrives and 3.73's next. I really don't want to do anything deep inside the engine if I can help it. What would you suggest I do next?

• Sponsors (?)

Oh yeah, get a set of drag radials also, that will help get your 60' times down. I have a friend with a 95 Cobra and limited mods also, he only turns low 9's in the 1/8 with close to a 2.0 60', which isn't enough to get you to a 13.5 in the quarter, but a good starting point (that's with 4.10's and BFG drag radials also). It sounds like you want this as a DD also, so that probably eliminates things such as removing the rear seat and spare tire for weight reduction. Maybe get a throttle body and mass air to help that choked Cobra breathe!

Swarzkopf said:
Uh...nitrous is one of the best ways to run 13.5 (or better) on the weekend and still have daily driveability.

Listen to this cat. You could hit 13.5 with your above mods and a 100 shot if you drive it right. GCOMFX on this site will tell you all about it. He hit a 13.5 without going into the motor with an automatic on a 75 shot. (I think, anyways) All you'd need to do is get colder plugs and maybe notch your timing down a little and run good gas when you take it to the strip. You would bairly notice a change in your DDing if you noticed anything at all.

~.02

i basically have a cobra motor. I have iron gt 40 heads with 1.7's and explorer intake. This is with stock gt cam, tb, mass air, injectors, AND crappy 2.73 gears. I have gone 14.0@102 with an awful 2.4 sixty foot and no tailpipes(not enought back pressure for the chambered flows). So if you do gears and the basic bolt ons, i dont see why low 13's would be out of the question. Spend 1 grand (less if you shop around) and you are there.

94gts said:
i basically have a cobra motor. I have iron gt 40 heads and explorer intake. This is with stock gt cam, tb, mass air, injectors, AND crappy 2.73 gears. I have gone 14.0@102 with an awful 2.4 sixty foot and no tailpipes(not enought back pressure for the chambered flows). So if you do gears and the basic bolt ons, i dont see why low 13's would be out of the question. Spend 1 grand (less if you shop around) and you are there.
NOt having tail pipes wont hurt power. The stock GT cam is better than the cobra cam. But nice mph with that thing.

94gts said:
it did. i have run(at track) it with the taipipes back on yet but by driving it everyday i notice i did lose a ton of low end.
I know a few people who run dumps right out of the mufflers and no one has complained about a loss in low end power. I mean seriously its not that much pipe, but i guess if your SOTP meter says so

W/ a untouched motor in my 94 Cobra I went high 12's
Here's the combo:
BBK shorty headers
homemade CAI
Mac prochamber
summitt catback
Pro 5.0 shifter
4.10's
mac underdrives
pro-m bullett 75 maf
bbk 65mm tb
timing at 18 degrees
drag radials
I dont think im forgetting anything, this was good for very consistent low 13's and the occasional high 12.
The Cobra's respond to mods very well, I was making 264rwhp and 308rwtq w/ these mods. Good luck!