How much would you pay

xAchillesx

Apr 13, 2004
For a salvage title 04 mustang GT with 40k on the clock? It needs a new trans(3650), which will be installed upon purchase.
He said he would let it go for 10,000. Basically nothing else is wrong with the car. Everything else has been fixed. Reason for salvage is it was clipped in the back end, and had to have everything, including trans replaced.

• Sponsors (?)

a general rule when buying a salvage title is that its worth about 40-60% of what the same vehicle with a clean title is worth.

Have you run a carfax? Have you got the vehicle on a lift and looked at the frame, motor mounts? How do the body panels line up? How do the lines of the body line up under the hood? How does the stock k member look, and were any adjustments needed after the wreck? What suspension parts, motor work was needed after the wreck? Do the doors open and shut properly? All things that need to be looked at closely when buying a wrecked car, and proboly a lot more.....

Id proboly pay around 300-3500bucks for the car since it needs a new tranny, if the work to repair the car is done properly.

I wouldnt pay that much for a salvage,I would only buy it for 2 reasons,one is to make it a drag car only and nothing else,or get it cheap enough to ba able to strip it down and sell the parts individuallly for a profit.I have a friend that buys salvaged titles all the time and usually at least doubles his cash in parting it out.

I sold a 00 GT auto car with 9,000 miles in 2004, for 10,000. It had a salvage title, I replaced the fenders, hood, bumper, cooling, and put a core support in it. I told the guy about it, and he was happy to get the car so cheap. He kept in contact with me, (he actually endeed bowling on the same league with me that fall) and he actually kept if for 4 years, and just recently sold it to his son-in-law. It now has 54K on it.

I wouldn't buy a Mustang wrecked in the back to fix and sell. They crumble easy in the back. That is their soft spot.