How strong are factory rods?

Red2000GT

Founding Member
Sep 10, 2000
Regina,Sask.Canada
I'm about to order the replacement parts for my engine rebuild. I know the pistons are crap and I used to think the rods were junk too but lately I"ve talked to a few people and seen some things that might change my mind. For example: DSS uses race prepped factory rods on their 4.6's up to 750 hp. Now I'm never going to approach 750 hp with my motor but it may see as high as 500-550 with the nitrous(someday). Considering the price of forged rods up here in Canada(over $1100 with taxes) if I could get away without them,that's a big chunk of cash I can spend on something else. Does anybody have any specific ideas? I need solid info here,not just opinions.

• Sponsors (?)

I would be more worried about the rods than the pistons. If your'e going to spend that kind of money anyway you might as well do it right. I haven't spoken to a tuner/engine builder yet that feels comfortable with using stock anything, other than the crank, in a high hp 2v application.

The stock rods are not too strong. Swap em. They are hypereurytyueruer (whatever) and just look at em next to some decent aftermarket forged rods like Manleys.

'00 GT longblock...less than 20K miles
Stock rods,forged pistons,Vortech S-trim,perfect tune,under 400 hp.
You make up your mind...
kdwindowblock.jpg

JL

Attachments

• kdwindowblock.jpg
    kdwindowblock.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 71
Well, I was going to say hmmm.........WHO LIED TO YOU????

Stock rods are crappy cast powdered unknown alloy mystery metal,
I would trust the crappy pistons way more than the crappy rods they give us. I give factory equipment 350rwhp DD maybe. Other than that, you need forged internals, crank can be an exception.

I havent heard nice things about DSS.

Josh.

Don't tell all the guys making 350+ rwhp with the Steeda tune that they need to replace their rods. You'd make several hundred people very upset. Of course anyone making 350+rwhp is better off with aftermarket forged pieces.

I hope to make around 400rwhp with the stock block on my GT with the Steeda tune (hopefully next month). Before I go any further with porting and polishing and other internal mods to the motor, I'll get a forged shortblock. That is probably years down the road unless I win the lottery.

-wjfawb0

I run almost 400 rwhp on stock internals and have for 5500 miles now. My tuner feels comfortable running 425 or more in some cases rwhp. It's all in the tune. The Q400 uses stock internals and I believe even the Q400 Deluxe (425 rwhp) uses stock stuff. One thing to remember is that a motor can let go at 300 rwhp just like it can at 400 rwhp.

wjfawb0 said:
Don't tell all the guys making 350+ rwhp with the Steeda tune that they need to replace their rods. You'd make several hundred people very upset. Of course anyone making 350+rwhp is better off with aftermarket forged pieces.

I hope to make around 400rwhp with the stock block on my GT with the Steeda tune (hopefully next month). Before I go any further with porting and polishing and other internal mods to the motor, I'll get a forged shortblock. That is probably years down the road unless I win the lottery.

-wjfawb0

Any one that puts any type of power adder on their car needs to prepare for these possibilities. Even with a perfect tune things can break or wear out. I hope it doesn't but I know it could.... I started a rebuild fund when I bought the charger(although I dipped into it to get an intercooler).

007 said:
The stock rods are not too strong. Swap em. They are hypereurytyueruer (whatever) and just look at em next to some decent aftermarket forged rods like Manleys.

Could you mean hypereutectoid?

Plain carbon steel which contains .8% carbon is called eutectoid. Less than .8% is hypoeutectoid and more than .8% is hypereutectoid.

Smith, William F. Materials Science and Engineering. Third edition, 1999. p488

if i can find my paper work ill put it in this thread on how much it cost in parts on forged internals.its not too expensive,while ur in there u should put a cobra steel crank,h beam rods,forged pistons,arp hardware,shm timing chain adjusters,7 qaurt oil pan and other misc. stuff.
this might be kind of pricey but its well worth it in the long run. :nice:
but this is just my .02 cents

not to change the subject... but i to have heard bad things about d.s.s. and had to do a rebuild on a few after just a few hundred miles.. there tolerances are all over the place..

back on subject.

hell stock rods and pistons have let go on non power adder motors.. with bolt-ons.. of course when adding a power adder it is always better to run forged internals.

get forged rod. if your gonna compleately rebuild it, why take chance? it is cheaper to do it now, than later ya know. I rebuild my old MR2 befor, and just becouse it was with in spec, I reused rod, and replaced everything else. and look at the pic below to see what happened.