How Strong Are Stock Axles

flames201

Dec 23, 2004
st. amant, la
HOW MUCH HP WILL THE STOCK AXLES TAKE WITH 410 GEARS? I have heard the stock axles are weak and will tear up easy. Just wanted some ideas or reality about some better axles; if, and at what point they are needed. At present I have 286 rwhp & 351 ftlbs torque. I will begetting the gears and am debating on the axles/or not!

• Sponsors (?)

its all about traction here. you could snap them on a lightly modified car, like gears and good slicks. more traction on harder launches and say hello to a flatbed. get some 31s maybe or better if you are heading for some major traction, more torque only makes it worse for those axles.

You're actually better off running slicks with the stock axles than you are running drag radials.

The slicks have a softer side wall that helps to absorb the impact, which reduces the stress immediately applied to the axles.

I ran a 100 shot on my Gt back in 1999 wth slicks, car went 12.30's@108mph and never ever had a problem. sametime frame, had a friend who had a stock Gt wth bolt-ons running Hoosier "dot" quick times doing 13.90's and he broke 3 axles inna' month. I stress this as I believe this helped my rear end and axles last, was having a rear end cover girdle and carrier stud kit.

thanks for the input i will just get the axles and gears at the same time. i do have a five speed. sct tuned!!!!! the best for the buck in my opinnion. i will also be going supercharged when everything else is complete on the car. not to far to go though.thanks though :D