How to: 12v Relay

xoxbxfx

Founding Member
May 9, 2001
Southlake, TX
Figured that some people dont get what a relay really does and why they help, so this is basic info about relays

What does a relay do: A relay is a simple device that acts as a switch. An electromagnetic switch will turn a circuit on or off. A relay takes a small amount of electricity from the sender wire and turns the switch on or off. The advantage to a relay is having an alternative power source for the end device. Headlights for example are very common places where relays are installed. With a relay, you take power straight off the battery, into the relay, then back out to the headlights. The relay will take the stock headlight wire from the switch and act as the sender wire. With a stock setup, the power for the headlights goes from the battery, through the engine bay, to the light switch, then back out to the headlights. With the length of wire (and small gauge wire from the factory), the headlights lose a lot of power. So by installing a relay, you are getting more power over a shorter wire from the battery to the headlights. The relay allows you to do this.

Why do you need one: There are many advantages to using relay, but the most important (to me) is getting more power over a shorter wire for devices that needs lots of power. They can also be used for multi-functions in power door locks and other devices. A relay will allow you to turn something on or off with a positive (hot) source.

What does a relay look like: Your most common relay is a single pole double throw relay. It has 5 spade terminals coming off of the bottom with different numbers associated with each.
View attachment 358739

How to wire a relay: Its pretty confusing with 5 different numbers on the bottom of a relay when you have never used them before. I cant tell you why they used the numbers versus some type of letter but they didnt. These numbers are a standard. So how do you know what each one does? You just have to learn.

30 - This is your big power source for the end device. This will normally come off the battery. This is your 12v + source for the relay
85 - This is the common ground. With every electronic on a car, to use it, the circuit must have a power source and a ground
86 - This is the sender wire. This wire will trigger the relay to open and close. In the headlight example, the stock headlight wire would attach here
87 - This is the out put of the relay. This is where the power goes out of the relay to the end device. This will carry more power than the stock headlight wire
87a - This terminal is always HOT until the sender wire sends power to open/close the switch. This will do the reverse function of the 87 terminal.

View attachment 358740

Common applications: Fuel pumps, head lights, alarms, door locks, trunk release...

• Sponsors (?)

This is good stuff, keep em coming.

This would be a good thing to use to power my GT foglight bar in the grill right?

I ripped all the wiring for those out when I redid the motor, somebody did a slop job when they added them on.

Question, the 87a one thats always hot until you activate the relay, why would you want it to do that? Gimmee a scenario where you`d want that so I can understand this better.

This would be a good thing to use to power my GT foglight bar in the grill right?

I ripped all the wiring for those out when I redid the motor, somebody did a slop job when they added them on.

Question, the 87a one thats always hot until you activate the relay, why would you want it to do that? Gimmee a scenario where you`d want that so I can understand this better.

You probably wont see it in our old cars, but a situation it could be used in is newer cars headlight/fog light setup. When you turn on your high beams, the foglights switch off. The foglights would be wired to 87a (always on) and the high beam circuit to the 87. When the high beam switch sends power to the relay, the relay switches from the fogs to the high beams. You will see this in alarms with different trigger door locks

For your foglights, this is a good way.
30 - battery +
85 - ground
86 - power from the inside fog light switch
87 - hot wire going into the fog lights

Yes, between the battery source and the Relay terminal (30)

You could also use a fuselink, which is a special type of wire that melts (leaving the outer insulation intact) when the load exceeds the rating.

They are usually 3-4" long and are sized 2 gages smaller than the wire it is protecting.

Great topic!

As mentioned, the relay's most common use is for an electronic high-current switch or as was also explained, to take a low power signal and boost it to run a high power device.

I also wanted to point out some other common uses for relays:

- To convert signal types. For example: Say you have something that puts out a ground signal, but the device you want to power needs +12V. You can use a relay to in essence convert a ground signal to +12V or vice versa.

- Taking advantage of the Normally open and normally closed contacts. A good example of this would be for running a Taurus electric 2 speed fan. With these 2 speed fans, there is a different +12V wire for the high and the low speed. BUT, both wires can't have power at the same time or you will burn out the motor. If you were using simple switches and wanted to have the option of switching back and forth between the speeds you would need to use 2 different switches and remember to turn the low speed switch off whenever you turn the high speed switch on. With a relay, you could do something like wire it so that when you turn on the key, the fan automatically comes on at the low speed. Then you could install a single switch that would toggle the relay for the high/low speeds by connecting the low speed to the normally closed contact and the high speed to the normally open contact. Not only can you get away with a single switch in the dash, you ensure that there is no possible way for both the high and low speeds to be on at the same time.

Just to be clear

Bottlefed, when you said you can use the relay to convert ground signal into positive power, are you just speaking of using a switch on the ground side of the relay? As in a positive ground setup? I used to be a truck driver, positive ground setups are common on 18 wheelers.

And Tim65GT, you mentioned putting the fuse on the wire going to the battery in the circuit we were discussing. Is it never necessary to run fuses on BOTH sides of the switch?

Reason I ask, is I had to run a power supply to my MSD ignition the other day, and I didnt really know which of the wires to fuse, so I fused both of them, the one from the battery to the toggle switch, then another fuse between there and MSD box.

BottleFed70

- Taking advantage of the Normally open and normally closed contacts. A good example of this would be for running a Taurus electric 2 speed fan. With these 2 speed fans, there is a different +12V wire for the high and the low speed. BUT, both wires can't have power at the same time or you will burn out the motor. If you were using simple switches and wanted to have the option of switching back and forth between the speeds you would need to use 2 different switches and remember to turn the low speed switch off whenever you turn the high speed switch on. With a relay, you could do something like wire it so that when you turn on the key, the fan automatically comes on at the low speed. Then you could install a single switch that would toggle the relay for the high/low speeds by connecting the low speed to the normally closed contact and the high speed to the normally open contact. Not only can you get away with a single switch in the dash, you ensure that there is no possible way for both the high and low speeds to be on at the same time.

Kinda Like this:)

FanRelays.jpg

Attachments

• FanRelays.jpg
    FanRelays.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 58
I switched my headlights over to a relay, and for the hell of it I put my coil on its own dedicated 12v relay, to eliminate the resistor wire or using the old brittle wire that it was on before. Relays = good :nice:

65fastbackresto

And Tim65GT, you mentioned putting the fuse on the wire going to the battery in the circuit we were discussing. Is it never necessary to run fuses on BOTH sides of the switch?

Reason I ask, is I had to run a power supply to my MSD ignition the other day, and I didnt really know which of the wires to fuse, so I fused both of them, the one from the battery to the toggle switch, then another fuse between there and MSD box.

Only one fuse is needed. The fuse is sized to provide sufficient current to the device and the wire is sized to the fuse.

Here are some examples and approximations:
Radio - 2A load - 5A fuse - 18ga wire
Dash lights - 5A load - 10A fuse - 16ga wire
Head lights - 10A load - 15A fuse - 14ga wire
Wipers - 15A load - 20A fuse - 12ga wire
Fan - 25A load - 30A fuse - 10ga wire

Again...Approximations. It doesn't hurt to go a size bigger on the wire, but you don't want to go too big on the fuse. Otherwise you are defeating it's purpose; too protect the circuit (and keep your ride from going up in smoke).

Bottlefed, when you said you can use the relay to convert ground signal into positive power, are you just speaking of using a switch on the ground side of the relay? As in a positive ground setup? I used to be a truck driver, positive ground setups are common on 18 wheelers.

Yup, I think 've got it. Instead of switching the + side of the relay coil, you switch the - side. And I could see how that would be used a lot in a positive ground electrical system.

Trying to wire in a relay with a temperature on/off switch. The switch is supposed to turn the fan on @185* & OFF @170*. It is supposed to ground by screwing into the intake. the switch has one connector on top.Don't have the relay wiring anymore, so trying to make my own. As far as the relay wiring, would I connect 12v power from the battery to 30, temperature switch to 86, ground to 85, & fan motor to 87. If this is correct will the fan turn off when the ignition is off? It seems like I am missing a switch power source. Where should this connect on the relay?

Trying to wire in a relay with a temperature on/off switch. The switch is supposed to turn the fan on @185* & OFF @170*. It is supposed to ground by screwing into the intake. the switch has one connector on top.Don't have the relay wiring anymore, so trying to make my own. As far as the relay wiring, would I connect 12v power from the battery to 30, temperature switch to 86, ground to 85, & fan motor to 87. If this is correct will the fan turn off when the ignition is off? It seems like I am missing a switch power source. Where should this connect on the relay?

For your needs:

Key switched power goes to pin 85
Temp switch goes to pin 86
fused + 12V directly from battery goes to pin 30
fan motor (+12V) goes to pin 87

With this wiring, the fan will only come on when the key is turned on AND the temperature switch is also on.