How to change transmission fluid, and what brand to put in?

Pootiestang

That's MISTER boy to you!
Founding Member
Dec 25, 2000
Sav, Ga
Where can I find a good instructional on how to change my car's tranny fluid? (5 speed) Also what is a good brand to use? I dont want to take the car to ford since its like 150 for the change. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Pootiestang said:
Where can I find a good instructional on how to change my car's tranny fluid? (5 speed) Also what is a good brand to use? I dont want to take the car to ford since its like 150 for the change. Thanks!
I looked at the location of the fill plug (toward the top of the trans) and decided to pay a jiffy lube place $ 26 bucks to drain and refill will ATF. I just used generic Dexron/Mercon III.

I have read you can remove the console, shifter, and boot and fill through the top.

You could buy one of those hand pumps (though I have not had luck with them, myself), and use that to fill the trans, but I think it's still going to be tough unless the car is on a lift.

I agree that $ 150 for the job is a bit much for the time involved.

Do it yourself! You can buy a great hand pump and any boat marina for 10 bucks, and the pump threads right on to your ATF bottle. These pumps are used to fill boat drives with hydraulic fluid, I've been using the same one for 3 years with no problems.

Take the shifter off and pour from the top its easy...... just pour slow........I used Mercon 3...... make sure you drain it from the plug on the bottom before you pour.........hehehe

Alright, it looks like I will just fight the tranny till the shifter comes off, pull the bottom drain plug, then the upper drain plug. Then begin filling from the top with the bottom drain plug in, untill it pours from the upper plug.

Where and how much should I expect to pay for tranny fluid? How much will I need? Is ATF a brand? Thanks!