How to change window motor?

• Sponsors (?)

Window Regulator, Power

Front Door

Removal

1. Remove front door glass attachment rivets and pull front door window glass (21410) up out of way.

2. Disconnect the front window regulator wiring (14631).

3. Remove window regulator equalizer arm bracket (23230).

4. WARNING: IF THE REGULATOR COUNTERBALANCE SPRING MUST BE REMOVED OR REPLACED FOR ANY REASON, ENSURE THAT THE REGULATOR ARMS ARE IN A FIXED POSITION PRIOR TO REMOVAL TO PREVENT POSSIBLE INJURY DURING C-SPRING UNWIND.

Remove the four rivets attaching the front door window regulator (23200) to the inner door panel. Remove the center pin from each rivet with a drift punch. Using a 1/4-inch drill, drill out the remainder of the rivet, using care not to enlarge the sheet metal retaining holes.

5. Remove the front door window regulator from the front door access hole.

Installation

1. Install front door window regulator through the access hole in the front door (20124).

2. NOTE: 1/4-20x1/2 inch screws and 1/4-20 nuts and washers may be substituted for the rivets. Tighten to 10.2-13.8 N-m (8-10 lb-ft).

Position the regulator base plate to the inner door panel and install four rivets.

3. Install front door window glass as outlined.

4. Connect the front window regulator wiring.

5. Cycle the front door window glass to ensure proper operation.

6. Install the front door trim panel (23942) and watershield

Window Regulator Electric Drive

Front Door

Removal

1. Raise the front door window glass (21410) to the full up position if possible. If the front door window glass cannot be raised and is in a partially down position, it must be supported so that it will not fall into the door well during window regulator electric drive removal.

2. Disconnect battery ground cable (14301).

3. Remove front door trim panel (23942) and watershield. Refer to «Section 01-05».

4. Disconnect front window regulator wiring connector.

5. CAUTION: Prior to window regulator electric drive (23394) removal, make sure that the regulator arm is in a fixed position to prevent counterbalance spring unwind.

Remove the three window regulator electric drive mounting screws and disengage the window regulator electric drive assembly from the front door window regulator (23200).

Installation

1. Install the window regulator electric drive. Tighten the retaining screws to 5.6-9.6 N-m (50-84 lb-in).

2. Connect the front window regulator wiring connector.

3. Connect battery ground cable. Check window regulator electric drive for proper operation.

4. Install the front door trim panel and watershield. Refer to «Section 01-05».

5. Check the drain holes at the bottom of the front doors (20124) to make sure that each is open to prevent water build-up over the window regulator electric drive.

I printed out the instructions on the FAQ and it took less than an hour for one door. I took my time and was careful and it was pretty easy.

I didn't replace the whole motor, just the 3 plastic bits inside that got chewed up. I guess I could have replaced it, but the 3 bits was way cheaper than a new motor.

Good luck. Let us know how it went.