How to convert to a roller block??

• Sponsors (?)

i believe crane cams make a Retrofit Lifters. All you do is drop them in from what i understand. They are around $400 for a set, but you just drop them in and use the hydrolic cam of your choice. Key word here, I BELIEVE this is how it works.

Ok, you cant just change the stuff and have a roller block. First off the bores arent long enough snd you will need a smaller based cam which Comp Cams sells. Then if you are going to use the spider plate and stuff, you need to machine the tops of the bores to accept the H-plates that hold the lifters. A standard 302 block has rough bores, but the 5.0 block has machined surfaces for the bores. Then of course, you need to tap the block for the 2 retaining bolts for the spider plate. The parts themselves are a dime a dozen at any wrecking yard since there are hundreds of roller blocks to choose from in wrecked lincolns and stuff. Or buy the conversion kit from ford racing for like 50-60 bucks. Then 110? for the lifters. You'll also need to change the gear on your distributor to a billet piece to match your new billet roller cam. Pushrods may be a different length too. Your best bet is to get the aftermarket lifters designed to drop into the 302 block without anything else. You still need to switch to a roller cam though to use roller lifters.