How to convert to roller lifters...?

cgph4693

Feb 1, 2001
I'm going to convert my 1974 302 to roller lifters. I already have a late model HO roller lifter setup and a Lunati small base circle cam. I have two questions: 1) Do I just drill holes right into the cam bearing surfaces and then tap? and 2) is it necessary to spot face the lifter boss top to clear the spiders? Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

It's been a while since I posted, but I have to since i learned this lesson the hard way a while back.

I'm glad to hear that you have the right cam, because that commonly the first mistake. Now youe lifters will ride in the right place in the bosses and not come up too high. Now you just have to drill and tap the valley of the block (after grinding out those "XXX"s and yes, you should clear the top of the bosses so that they don't wear on the dogbones.

You can get away with not clearing the dogbones as they simple rattle around with a lot of play, but I wouldn't leave it that way. Better to clear them so they're not causes little metal shavings to rub off when they're rattling against the outer cylender walls there.

There you have it, the spider, dogbones, lifers, RBC cam, and machine work.

ID89GT: its better to find a 94 or later block and run the HO style lifters. That 90 block isn't any better than a 94 or later, so why limit you cam selection when you don't have to? The 74 and earlier blocks are pretty much the only ones worth doing that to (converting with the HO setup) ALTHOUGH, running linked bar lifters is another option for using your existing 90 block, or any non roller for that matter (but cost $500+ a set new, about 300 used).

i know retro lifters are expensive but i think its the smartest way to go since you have unlimited cam options, no drilling or tapping the block, no clearancing for the dog bones, "plug and play" so to speak.

i was kinda curious how much it would push up the stock roller lifters with my f-cam, so with the engine still tore down i put in the cam and a few lifters and it pushed them almost 1/4 inch out of the hole, couldnt believe it.

i have a 74 351 and i went with the retro lifters mainly cause i dont know how satisfied i will be with the f-cam so i want to keep my options open

It's been a while since I posted, but I have to since i learned this lesson the hard way a while back.

Thanks for posting. I've built about 30 SBFs with the retrofit lifters but just wanted to try using the stock setup for no better reason than I was bored and wanted to know how it would work out.

It is amazing how simple it is to use the stock roller lifters and I really don't know why people get so freaked by it. All it takes is the SBC cam, drilling two 1/4 - 20 holes and some minor clearancing with a die grinder (or mill). If I'd have known it was this easy, I'd have done it long ago.

Looking forward to starting it up tomorrow.