How To Get 351w To Fit Into '73?

oz

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2000
Plymouth, MI
Greetings,
My uncle has a '73 with a blown up 302 and he bought a 351W to put in it.
It came set up for a Fox bodied Mustang so it has the dual sump pan and an oil pump with a long tube to get the pickup in the rear sump... I told him he'd have to change that to a '73 style pan and pump. He has the pan from the 302 but says that the connecting rods touch the 302 pan - so it must be different than the 351.

What does he need to get the 351W to fit into his '73? Is it just the pan and pump? Are 'special' headers required?

THANKS!

• Sponsors (?)

I know special swap headers are required for the older ones. But the 351 was an option in 73 so you may be ok as far as clearance.
1) 351w block is slightly taller, so your current 302 manifolds/headers might not meet up with your exhaust underneath. If that is the case, you will need the stock 73 351 manifolds or headers made for the 351.
2) Since the deck hight is taller on the 351, the intake width is also wider. So if you were planning to, I dont thing you can resuse the 302 intake manifold. Most of the rest of the accessories should transfer though. Not sure if you were planning on resusing this stuff or if the new engine already has it.
3) You will need a new oil pan as the 351 pan is deeper to clear the larger main bearing. New pump as well.

any front sump 351w oil pan will work just fine. the rest is mostly bolt in stuff as the 351w uses the same mounts as the 302, as well as having the same bell housing bolt pattern. its the little details like throttle linkage and wiring, alone with accessory mounts that will cause a few minor headaches.

I don't think the 351 Windsor was available in '71-'73 - only the Cleveland... Does the right oil pan and pump combo exist?
In that case, if the Cleveland fits with no clearance issues, then the Windsor will have no problem. Any standard 351w pan and pump from any online mustang store should fit. Or if you get a donor, the front sump is what you need. Not sure what kind of hood clearance you have on a 73. I'm rebuilding a 351w to put in my 66 and the hood clearance with the taller deck is an issue. I had to be selective about my intake and air cleaner.

you wont have any clearance probs with a 351 practicly bolt in change the pan to the older 351 pan and pick up tube ,302 headers are usualy made to fit 289-351 w
dist. is different so you will need a 351 dist. oil pump drive is larger on 351 than 302
69 351 pullys are 3 bolt at the crank later ones are 4 bolt pullys, can be purchased new through any mustang vender and brackets to ,electrical hook ups will be the same 351 has a different fireing order than 302 other than that not a problem they use the same motor mounts as 302