how to make 97 gt fast(er)

maybe i just suck at driving lol, i ran 14.6 w/mine on bald tires. maybe i should take the cam out and put it back to stock but i think that the injectors will food it out so idk what todo,

oh and 3.73s or 4.10s?

btw sometimes i just cant keep it running at a light if im not playing w/ the trottle the whole time it will die and other times it idles fine

Get the 4.10's but make sure to get the tuner first.

• Sponsors (?)

maybe i just suck at driving lol, i ran 14.6 w/mine on bald tires. maybe i should take the cam out and put it back to stock but i think that the injectors will food it out so idk what todo,

oh and 3.73s or 4.10s?

btw sometimes i just cant keep it running at a light if im not playing w/ the trottle the whole time it will die and other times it idles fine

Sounds to me you did have the car tune when you put the injectors in. As bhuff30 mentioned get it tuned first that's probabaly your single biggest problem.

Bill

I have had 2 96 gt's , an 03 gt and an 03 mach 1. The npi engines just suck. plain and simple. Anyone who says they can be made fast is full of it. they probably just havnt had a FAST car. Do a pi swap. I found an 04 engine with 27k for 900 bucks. still had paint on the pullies. You will never get better than 13.9- 14.2 with all the bolt-ons and drag radials. If you really want your car fast, put a pi motor in and be content. if you get too radical with heads on these motors, you lose torque. and you cannot make up with revs unless your bottom end is built for it. just my two cents.......:flag:

I have had 2 96 gt's , an 03 gt and an 03 mach 1. The npi engines just suck. plain and simple. Anyone who says they can be made fast is full of it. they probably just havnt had a FAST car. Do a pi swap. I found an 04 engine with 27k for 900 bucks. still had paint on the pullies. You will never get better than 13.9- 14.2 with all the bolt-ons and drag radials. If you really want your car fast, put a pi motor in and be content. if you get too radical with heads on these motors, you lose torque. and you cannot make up with revs unless your bottom end is built for it. just my two cents.......:flag:
There are different concepts in what is "fast". Your 03 GT isn't any faster than my 96. If that is what you are saying is fast then you are full of it. A few more bolt-ons and my car can run low 13's to high 12's and kick your Mach 1 to the curb. A new zo6 runs low 11's stock. It's all in how much money you have and how you spend it...and what you define as fast.

Just make it run right with the parts you already have! How did you compensate for the bigger injectors? You should have either re-tuned the computer or gotten a matching larger MAF. If it won't even run right at idle, then you have major air-fuel ratio problems. You really just need to get this streighted out by getting it tuned!

Sounds to me you did have the car tune when you put the injectors in. As bhuff30 mentioned get it tuned first that's probabaly your single biggest problem.

Bill

What they said...and I said in post in post 16. The computer isn't learning the new parameters and is throwing fuel where it doesn't need to be and pulling fuel when is shouldn't.

Funny you say this. I've driven a 97GT, an 04GT, and an 06 GT. They all 'felt' the same to me, but I knew the 06 was faster because it is happy to rev higher. What really makes a car fun to drive is TORQUE. All these engines have fairly similar torque numbers, being the same displacement. I know the 06 has a bit more torque, but it also has a couple hundred lbs more to drag around.

I would argue the 4.6 isn't 'fast' without forced induction. Yeah, you can do all these mods to rev higher, but why? You are only extending the torque you have to higher rpms. Then, you are fighting to get the rpms up like a honda, while the LS1 next to you makes an extra 100 ft*lbs from idle to 5000rpm. The 4.6 is a bit too small in my opinion, and don't count on the 5.4; the rod ratio goes to hell.

I guess I became disenchanted with the NA 4.6 when I race my 2.3 vs an 00 GT with nearly every NA mod you can imagine... ported heads, cams, long tubes with full exhaust, ect, ect ect. Literally 5000+$ in mods and he was happy with the 280+rwhp he made on the dyno. It honestly wasn't even funny the way I ran away from him! And I'm running basically junk yard parts, stock turbo, stock intake/head/exhaust manifold, and not reving over 5500 (yes, the 1/4 mile time on the 2.3 is out of date).

I think to be competitive with what's stock and on the streets now, the 4.6 needs forced induction because it is a bit on the small side. True fun comes from big torque, and the NA 4.6 doesn't have it.