How to remove valve springs?

94tang

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
East TN
I got a set of good used E7's dirt cheap and was going to do a little "work" on them.when i compress the valve springs i cant get the locks out.There is a little cup that they're sitting in and they seem to be stuck.....as you can tell this is my first attempt at doing head work on my own so any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated....tia

• Sponsors (?)

This is a bit unrelated, but it might help you. I had that problem when I was rebuilding a set of V6 heads off a Dodge, but it seems they are made the exact same way. I put a piece of wood on the workbench and set the head down so that the face of the valve was sitting on it to keep it from trying to come out. Then, once you have the spring compressed (bottom should come loose from the head), just give a hard tap on the top of the spring compressor with the palm of your hand. You might have to hit it a few times to break it lose, but it should come loose and the keepers (cups) should come out no problem.

Good luck

The compressor im using is the kind you can remove valve springs with the head still on the car so i dont have a lot of hitting room,but i know what you are saying.I have tried hitting the "cup"/locks with a hammer and screwdriver but they still wont budge.....:shrug:

I had trouble with this before, but once you get the hang of it, it's a breeze! I used the old "lever" style spring compressor, the one you have to bolt down where the rockers bolt to. Use the piece of wood like one of the other poster's said. It will stop the valve from going down and not bend/nick the valves.