How to tell if quad shocks are busted

• Sponsors (?)

Doubt it will do anything, you problem is comming from the UCA's (x2c is out of biz) depending on what what kind of set you got, you probably got drag type design that has alot of play in them, FRPP UCA's are only $70 and are a better investment.

Word_Life wrote

Doubt it will do anything, you problem is comming from the UCA's (x2c is out of biz) depending on what what kind of set you got, you probably got drag type design that has alot of play in them, FRPP UCA's are only $70 and are a better investment.

Yeh i know my problem is the uca's as stated in my original post. They have to much play in them side to side sloppiness so since i have my left over quad shocks and hardware, i was gonna throw them back on for the time being, because I'm not gonna buy cheap control arms again.

tdaily2 wrote

they are just like the shocks on the rest of the car if you push them in and they do not rebound back then put the new one in they are not much and may want to get better ones then the ford quad

Thats why I was asking, I can push the quad shock in, but if I want it to come out again I have to pull hard to get it to come out. So its basically busted quad shocks right?

Josh

MustangLife said:
Word_Life wrote

Yeh i know my problem is the uca's as stated in my original post. They have to much play in them side to side sloppiness so since i have my left over quad shocks and hardware, i was gonna throw them back on for the time being, because I'm not gonna buy cheap control arms again.

tdaily2 wrote

Thats why I was asking, I can push the quad shock in, but if I want it to come out again I have to pull hard to get it to come out. So its basically busted quad shocks right?

Josh
The quads have nothing to do with side to side movement. They are served for wheelhop and related up/down actions. Get some better (for handling) UCA's, it will reduce your side to side movement.

tdaily2 said:
they are just like the shocks on the rest of the car if you push them in and they do not rebound back then put the new one in they are not much and may want to get better ones then the ford quad

I don't think the quad shocks rebound like normal shocks do. They just dampen side to side movement of the rear end and have to dampen in both directions. Last time i checked, the quads should have resistance in both directions, but should not have any movement of it's own.

Word_Life wrote

The quads have nothing to do with side to side movement. They are served for wheelhop and related up/down actions. Get some better (for handling) UCA's, it will reduce your side to side movement.

The quad shocks are a band aid for the stock upper control arms, not lower control arms. The quads and uca's help locate the axle side to side. The Lower control arms help locate the axle front to back.

Mustang5L5 wrote

I don't think the quad shocks rebound like normal shocks do. They just dampen side to side movement of the rear end and have to dampen in both directions.

Correct.

Josh

MustangLife said:
Word_Life wrote

The quad shocks are a band aid for the stock upper control arms, not lower control arms. The quads and uca's help locate the axle side to side. The Lower control arms help locate the axle front to back.

Mustang5L5 wrote

Correct.

Josh
Dude, There is NO side to side friction in a Quad Shock. If you notice they are bolted to the chassis with metal-TO-metal contact. Take it from someone who knows, me.

Word_Life said:
Dude, There is NO side to side friction in a Quad Shock.

It is side to side if you are looking from the side of the car. If you could slow it down, you'd see the axle wiggle forward and backwards in a horizontal motion. This translates to wheel hop as the wheel drives the rear end forward, hits the maximum point of travel, breaks traction and hops backwards to it's original point. That is the cause of wheelhop. It's not up and down dampening that causes it, but the axle moving in a horizontal plane

Mustang5L5 said:
It is side to side if you are looking from the side of the car. If you could slow it down, you'd see the axle wiggle forward and backwards in a horizontal motion. This translates to wheel hop as the wheel drives the rear end forward, hits the maximum point of travel, breaks traction and hops backwards to it's original point. That is the cause of wheelhop. It's not up and down dampening that causes it, but the axle moving in a horizontal plane
Of course, but it still isn't the same left to right movement from the UCA's placing the axle in the side to side motion where it is affecting cornering ability.

No matter what stock Mustang suspension setup you are talking about the rear end floats from side to side and can easily get "moved over". Of course IRS does not have this issue. A panhard bar or watts linkage will correct this. Quad shocks control wheel hop and up and down motion.

Ever check wikipedia for panhard bar? There is some great info and diagrams. Here is the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhard_Rod