How tough is it to put an 03 Cobra motor into an 03 V6?

NEEDA5.0

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2002
I was thinking about buying another car just to race. How tough would it be to put an 03 Cobra motor into an 03 V6? Or would it fit into a 99 V6? If you could get a 99 V6 for say $7,000 and throw a $6,000 used Cobra engine in it and another say $2,000 for labor it be a cheap way to 500 hp. I was thinking about getting a 96 GT and adding a supercharger but I'd still be way short of 500 hp, right? Can a 96 GT get to 500 hp without nitrous for $15,000 (including the price of the car)? And even if I could would it be worth it? The 03 Cobra engine has so much more potential. Is $2,000 in labor close to the cost of the 03 swap? Mustang Specialty Parts has the cobra engine for $6500 with the wiring and computer and all the accessories.

• Sponsors (?)

If you are just going to race, go with a nice light fox, then add a carburated 351 or 460. It will be a lot less money, a lot less wires and power potential for a stroked 460 with good heads is almost limitless.

If you spend $1,500 on a car, $3,500 on suspension, wheels, tires and a cage and $10,000 on a built 514 (460 stroker), C6 and 9", you might be able to get in to the 9's if you have traction. If you don't mind race gas, you can bump up the compression to about 13-1 and probably run low 9's.

You could get the V6 and Cobra motor for $13,000, but any mechanic would laugh at $2000 to swap in the V8. Even if you could make it happen, you wind up with a low 12, high 11 second car if you have all of that 500 hp. The fox might not have much more power, but it will be lighter and it will have the tires and suspension required for good 60' times.

The notch back cars are the lightest and I think they are a bit more ridgid than a hatch back, not very stylish though.

Any year should work fine. I would just look for the cheapest car with the least ammount of abuse. A nice interior would be good because it will piss you off to spend your money fixing that instead of making it faster.

If you have the money for a nice tubular K member, lightweight drag struts and brakes, a 4 cylinder might be the way to go. It's usually a pain to do a V8 conversion, but if you are already going to replace the K member and add a built rear end, I can't really see any drawbacks, the 4 cylinder cars usually live an easier life than the V8's and they are cheaper as well.