SN95 Hp/tq Numbers

Feb 7, 2015
Hello all I'm somewhat new to this l, I've always looked at these pages to do some research on my build....
I have a 331 stroker with afr 185's, tfs1 cam, shorty headers, and 2 1/2 inch cat delete exhaust... Does anyone have a educated guess as to what kind of hp/TQ numbers I will be seeing or should be expecting with that combo?

• Sponsors (?)

You didn't list your intake, but I agree with A5literMan. You have a good set of heads, but that is a smaller cam. Nothing wrong with it, just not going to take advantage of the full potential of your setup. Also, the shorty headers hurt some, but a lot of people, including myself, run them on a stroker.

Joe

Oh Its the stock gt40 intake with the 24# inj. And I'm currently looking into the track heat intake system, and it also has 10.5CR if that can is to small then what's another good choice of cams to hit the 400 mark? Or is 400 asking to much from the small block?

Oh Its the stock gt40 intake with the 24# inj. And I'm currently looking into the track heat intake system, and it also has 10.5CR if that can is to small then what's another good choice of cams to hit the 400 mark? Or is 400 asking to much from the small block?

I think what everyone is saying is that with your current cam, you will be in the mid 300's. A bigger cam will take you to the right side of 400, if I understand them correctly.

A fresh block *should* be good for 500 horsepower reliably. These motors don't like high rpms, so provided you keep it @ ~6000rpm or thereabouts, it should be ok.

The higher compression should provide a little power boost as well.

Lastly, tune, tune, tune! A good, well developed custom tune will maximize your performance.

edit: you asked about the cam. I'm not sure what lift you can get away with with your setup. I'd also like to learn.

how well will the track heat intake match up with those headsbut or should I go with something different? And also is a custom can really necessary to achieve the 400 rwhp?

Shoomakan- yes I agree with the tune part, I hear that the sn95's are very picky, do you know of any good tuners in the Houston area? And how do yall feel about the girdles? Are they worth investing in?

Girdles are a waste.
The track heat is a terrible intake for a stroker.
You don't NEED a custom cam... but you want one.

TBH, if I was running a small cube engine like yourself... N/A, it would be TLSR.

My advise to make more power is a trick flow box R intake,minimum of a 75mm throttle body(really need a 90),90mm MAF sensor matched to 30-42# inj,a 1 3/4" long tube header with 2 1/2" x pipe,and a custom tune. Your cam profile should be around 230-240*dur at .050 with .575-600 lift depending on what piston you have. For a good custom cam guy I use Brian Freezy. You also can search for Ed Curtis,Buddy Rawls or contact Bullet cams. Plenty of ots cam company's like comp cams and Lunati will give you a recommendation also.

Reactions: 1 user
High 3's maybe 400 rwhp. My questions should also include: what are your intentions with your car? Daily driver? Drag car? Somewhere in the middle? What rear gear do you have? Trans? That cam I mentioned would need a high stall converter for an auto or a 5 sod manual. Also need at least a 3.73 gear

It has 3.08 in the rear and its my weekend warrior, Im sure 400 horses should be good as long as I could get them tires to stick but that's another story lol and I have the manual 5 speed transmission, which I beleieve is the t-5.

You'll need to change those gears if going to maximize your combo. I personally like 3.73's. Others like 4.10 or 3.55's. If you don't mind some additional revs while highway cruising and are looking for maximum straightline performance go with the stuff I listed above and a 4.10 gear or 3.73. You could easily push into the 400rwhp range and with even more modifications(suspension,tires,etc) have a mid 11 sec car. If you want to maintain a much more docile nature go with less cam and 3.55's. I feel that in a n/a combo 3.55's are the minimum gear ratio for these cars. They are a perfect everyday ratio that really helps keep the car in the powerband when doing some spirited driving and are mild at highway speeds.

I've had my eyes on the 3.73 gears before I put that project aside, but now that I get in it I feel like has a little bit more to give and thanks for your help and information, saved me hours of time on the research lol looks like I'm going to have to start saving up again for for the rest of the motor :nice:

Reactions: 1 user
I have a similar 331 combo & it makes a solid 350rwhp\355rwtq N\A on a DynoJet. Of course i have a bigger RPMII intake, 75mm Accufab T.B., 75mm Pro M meter, custom cam, 1&3\4" BBK long tubes, 2-cat BBK H-pipe, 2.5" cat-back, TKO600 trans, 4.10 gear, etc. Makes my 3,600lbs 'vert (w\me in it) fun to drive. The N2O system pushes it well beyond the 400rwhp\400rwtq mark.... ;)