i guess i need the friggen p headers

88GTMustang

Oct 31, 2003
LA california
finally got the car all back together when to start it and break in my cam, about 4 minutes later smoke was pouring up from my engine! I was trying to be cheap and use my stockies on my gt40p heads, i mean i actually thought i could do it because i heated up the headers and pounded the down a bit and wrapped some heat sheild around the wires but that didnt work.

so im guessing im going to have to shell out the cash that i dont have for the p headers. Who knows where i can get them for the lowest price? besides ebay, somewhere dependable. or if anyone has them they dont need would be a great help!

• Sponsors (?)

88GTMustang said:
Its A ford racing E cam, it said right on the box to run at 1500 rpms for 15 minutes. I still gotta break it in right?

Was it a BRAND NEW cam? New roller lifters?

If I change my cam and lifters with new ones I will break it in for 4-5 mins at 2000 rpm. If i put in used stuff i juts run it at 2000 rpm for 1 min or so. Roller lifters are very forgiving.

Ford Racing headers from Jegs. Jet Hot with lifetime warranty! $299.00 never need to buy another pair again.
397M9430P51.jpg

Attachments

• 397M9430P51.jpg
    397M9430P51.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 58
89sleeper said:
Ford Racing headers from Jegs. Jet Hot with lifetime warranty! $299.00 never need to buy another pair again.
397M9430P51.jpg

Dayum sleeper... I wasn't even looking for headers and I'm sold. Any clearance problems with those?

Attachments

• 397M9430P51.jpg
    397M9430P51.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 57
Daggar said:
Dayum sleeper... I wasn't even looking for headers and I'm sold. Any clearance problems with those?
None. These headers are new redesigned ones that fit the P-headed cars and fit stock heads as well (just more room for plug wire clearence). They are the best quality I have seen and they have thick 1 peice flange. they are stainless steel and "Jet Hot" coats them with their "Sterling" finish and give them a lifetime warranty. http://www.jet-hot.com/pages/headercoatings.html
Well worth the money. :nice:

They will be mine... Oh Yes! They will be mine.

Next: Or perhaps I should start a new thread...??? You see in my combo that I've got the TW heads. They're high port and although they can be installed with the Kenne Bell, it requires that I use a half inch (or perhaps larger) intake spacer between the gt40 lower plenum and the base of the SC. My question is: If I were going to swap to a different set of head (Ford Racing), Does anyone know what I can get away with without having to notch the pistons? 86 Stock flat tops are in. Compression is somewhere around 9.2.

Daggar said:
They will be mine... Oh Yes! They will be mine.

Next: Or perhaps I should start a new thread...??? You see in my combo that I've got the TW heads. They're high port and although they can be installed with the Kenne Bell, it requires that I use a half inch (or perhaps larger) intake spacer between the gt40 lower plenum and the base of the SC. My question is: If I were going to swap to a different set of head (Ford Racing), Does anyone know what I can get away with without having to notch the pistons? 86 Stock flat tops are in. Compression is somewhere around 9.2.
Why would you want to switch heads? I don't understand?

Mainly because the blower that I bought is the larger Blowzilla (wanted room to grow so that I didn't have to buy the blower again). I have a 2 1/2 cowl on the car but the blower and parts of the manifold sit off to one side of center. Having that extra spacer installed brings me one step closer to having clearance problems. I've not installed the blower yet (waiting for ample time) but once I get started I plan on checking the hood clearnace before getting the whole thing set up. If it doesn't clear I'd like to ditch the heads for something that is stock height. Of course, the reason I have the heads that I have now is BECAUSE of the stock pistons. Just wondering what I could get away with as far as a stock height heads without having to tear my bottom end apart to accomodate them.

Daggar said:
Mainly because the blower that I bought is the larger Blowzilla (wanted room to grow so that I didn't have to buy the blower again). I have a 2 1/2 cowl on the car but the blower and parts of the manifold sit off to one side of center. Having that extra spacer installed brings me one step closer to having clearance problems. I've not installed the blower yet (waiting for ample time) but once I get started I plan on checking the hood clearnace before getting the whole thing set up. If it doesn't clear I'd like to ditch the heads for something that is stock height. Of course, the reason I have the heads that I have now is BECAUSE of the stock pistons. Just wondering what I could get away with as far as a stock height heads without having to tear my bottom end apart to accomodate them.
You said you have Twist Wedge right? They are not any taller than stock. Did you mean you have Street Heats? They are high port.

I don't have part numbers with me here (I'm out of state on vacation) and cannot locate the note on their website that said "Fits 86 without piston knotching" but I do remember that when I spoke with Trick Flow about their heads they said something to effect of "Ahhh... so then you're going to need THESE heads." When he expalined why he referred to the extra space provided between the pistons and valves with the head (it may be the 5171B001 on their website but I can't swear to it just now). I know that's probably not much help but it's about all I can tell you without having the reference material right infront of me. Still... aside from all of that... You happen to know if I can put a set of GT40 heads on with the E cam and my stock 86 pistons?

Daggar said:
You happen to know if I can put a set of GT40 heads on with the E cam and my stock 86 pistons?
That's a really hard question to answer with every motor being a little different. I can't say for sure but I don't think so. The 86's don't really have much room for clearence. They only way you will be able to tell for sure is to clay the pistons. It is the only really safe method to use. It doesn't take too long to do and then you will know for sure. With all that money into your engine I wouln't chance it on someones word.

Yeah... I was going to clay them anyway but didn't want to order heads then have the problem of trying return them if they were all wrong. Just wondering if anyone new for sure that they normally would or would not fit (wouldn't waste my time if somone came right out and said "Nope... won't fit"). Thanks though. There is still a chance that the blower and will fit neatly under the hood then all of this will be moot. :)

Daggar said:
Yeah... I was going to clay them anyway but didn't want to order heads then have the problem of trying return them if they were all wrong. Just wondering if anyone new for sure that they normally would or would not fit (wouldn't waste my time if somone came right out and said "Nope... won't fit"). Thanks though. There is still a chance that the blower and will fit neatly under the hood then all of this will be moot. :)
No problem. I hope it fits. It will save you a lot of time and money!