I need help with my new hood

Night Shifter

Dec 24, 2005
Daytona
a while back i ordered a 2.5" CF cowl hood.. i have the same one cobrared96gt has from the same exact company except obviously mine is for 99-04..if your not sure which one im talking about, heres the thread on his http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/791075-some-rice-teh-ride-some-hood-reinforcement-qs.html

anyway, the hood latch area is not reinforced with steel and i need some opinions on how to fix this...my only other option is to get hood pins which i hate and i REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY dont want to drill into my hood.

i was looking at the hood pin kits from american muscle because they say no drilling required which is great news for me, BUT will the 3m tape that hold the latching part of the pins on the hood hold up to a possible opening hood, or will they just peel off if the hood opens?

any help with either reinforcing this hood or finding hood pins that i dont have to drill my hood with will be greatly appreciated.. if i am going to have to drill my hood, can you guys tell me a good company to get pins from?

im heading home this weekend to get my hood and paint it so ill need to have the pins by at least monday or else i have to chance a 10 hour 75-80mph drive without hood reinforcement.. thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

a while back i ordered a 2.5" CF cowl hood.. i have the same one cobrared96gt has from the same exact company except obviously mine is for 99-04..if your not sure which one im talking about, heres the thread on his http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/791075-some-rice-teh-ride-some-hood-reinforcement-qs.html

anyway, the hood latch area is not reinforced with steel and i need some opinions on how to fix this...my only other option is to get hood pins which i hate and i REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY dont want to drill into my hood.

i was looking at the hood pin kits from american muscle because they say no drilling required which is great news for me, BUT will the 3m tape that hold the latching part of the pins on the hood hold up to a possible opening hood, or will they just peel off if the hood opens?

any help with either reinforcing this hood or finding hood pins that i dont have to drill my hood with will be greatly appreciated.. if i am going to have to drill my hood, can you guys tell me a good company to get pins from?

im heading home this weekend to get my hood and paint it so ill need to have the pins by at least monday or else i have to chance a 10 hour 75-80mph drive without hood reinforcement.. thanks guys

the AM hood pin kits that don't require drilling are not functional, they are in no way able to keep your hood from opening.

gaaah...thats what i was afraid of...ive seen a few pics of hood pins without the cable..been searching around for the past hour or so at all types of pins but i would like to have cableless pins if possible...just need pointed in the right direction

the aerocatch ones aren't too offensive

i seen pics where someone mounted hoodpins on the bottom side of the hood so they were accessible from the center opening. Dunno if the bottom side of your CF hood has enough bracing to do this tho

Worse comes to worse , get the ford racing hood pins and have all the parts powdercoated to match your car and then just leave the lanyards off.....

Posted via Mobile Device yeah i was planning on painting them to matck to make them less noticeable...the frpp ones require a drilled hole correct? if i pull the cable off and just stick the locking pins in that will still keep the hood from opening right? i just dont want cables rubbing against me fresh new paint and scratching it...thanks for the info guys keep it coming

NRG Innovations Black Carbon Fiber Overlay Hood Lock w/ key

I just ordered these on saturday. If you want to wait till I get them I'll tell you if they look cheezy or not.

Posted via Mobile Device i actually liked those and looked a lot into buying those...if i can get them to work withough the cables i might get them...or maby i can bondo the hood latch into the hood and jb weld the bolts that hood the latch in into the holes lol

Posted via Mobile Device yeah i was planning on painting them to matck to make them less noticeable...the frpp ones require a drilled hole correct? if i pull the cable off and just stick the locking pins in that will still keep the hood from opening right? i just dont want cables rubbing against me fresh new paint and scratching it...thanks for the info guys keep it coming

Yeah you have to drill holes. :( The FRPP ones come w/o the lanyards on them so all you would have to do is leave them off and just use the lynch pin

the one mounted on the bottom on the hood with a standard style pin

Corral Forums - View Single Post - Hood pin installation?

i seriously appreciate this link! you just made my day :D

i was thinking about taking a peice of steel/metal, cutting it to size, folding it in half and putting it in the hood latch area so that the inside and outside of the hole was reinforced with the metal, bondoing it inside and out so that it would be one with the hood and painting it in hopes that that would work, but now i think im gonna take an easier route... thanks urban :nice:

The Carbon fiber ones actually look pretty sweet. And they have locks so you can lock the hood. They are for my next hood though, sadly it is twelve weeks off.

Urban, thanks for that link. That is a great idea. Im going to try that on my current carbon cobraR hood to see how strong they are. How the plastic grill peice they mount to holds up to the stress.

I was just going to sugest the bottom style ones. They guy that came over today to buy my hood mentioned them. He said there are also ones that snap into place like the stock latch would just into the first layer of the hood. So is in too places like pins but just locks/clasps into the first layer.