I need some advice

nickm347

Jul 13, 2003
I have a problem. I bought a 73 mach 1 a couple years ago, and my dad and i had body work and paint done, about 5 or 6 years ago. it was night when we got the car out of the shop, and we took it directly back to our garage. due to other financial requirments (college etc) the car has mostly sat with a little bit getting done here and there. so, the car has been sitting in the garage since the body work, untill yesterday. my dad pulled it out to do something, and in the natural sunlight, he said the body work was awful, wavy, paint bubble in some places etc. he talked to a body shop to get it done right, and he said about $8k. since it is no Boss or CJ car, its not worth it. We think we may just sell the body/chassis as a project and sell the rest of the parts. What do you guys think?
The car has a clean title with 35k orig miles, H code. nothin too special. How much is it worth as a project car rolling chassis?
Sorry that was so long, its been a loooong day and it was hard to explain. Here are 2 pics, really bad, but the only i have. You can see the dark garage its been living in.
307847_36_full.jpg

307847_35_full.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Are you building the car because you like this body style or are you just building it for an investment?

I've got the same body style & it's a clone. I plan on dropping a lot of money into it because I like the body style not because what I think it'll be worth when I'm done. I was looking for a non-numbers car so I could build it the way I want (restomod) & not have to worry about depreciating the value of a true Mach 1 Q code, C Code, J Code, Boss R Code or whatever.......

You need to ask yourself, “Why are you building this car?” & “What is it worth to you?”.

Just my .02 cents.

I agree with Phat-Stang.

From the looks of it, everyone's lost interest in the project. On the upside, it's not like it's losing any value just sitting there in the garage.

It's not possible to give realistic sale estimates with the info provided. If you really want it gone, throw the whole thing - misc. parts and all - on eBay.

Well I do like the body style, I grew up with it. My dad has a 71 Boss and a 72 mach 1. When i was done restoring it I was going to drive it a bit, but mainly keep it as an investment I suppose. I never thought about it. Since its not really as desirable as the earlier model or boss/shelby stangs, i was hoping the low mileage would give it value. The car needs to be done right, and I cant afford to get the body work re-done on the car. I dont want to restore a car with bad body work/paint.

If I throw this up on eBay as a rolling chassis project car, what do you think it is worth?
Some of the parts (C6, Currie 9in rear etc) i think i will keep, for future projects.

what kind of info do you need?
I told my dad that, but we still have to order more parts for it....not too much. he said its not worth putting more money into to it, otherwise we will take a loss on everything.

We think we may just sell the body/chassis as a project and sell the rest of the parts. What do you guys think?
The car has a clean title with 35k orig miles, H code. nothin too special. How much is it worth as a project car rolling chassis?
Exactly what is included in your definition of “Rolling Chassis”? Glass, Interior components …? Did the car originally have the fold-down rear seat option or is it the package tray version? What’s the condition of the cowl and all other rust prone areas?

As I’m sure your father is aware, many of the misc. components for these years aren’t available aftermarket. Anyone who knows beans about 71-73 will know that they’ll have to purchase another entire car to get the parts to finish it.

All rust has been fixed. not much rust to begin with. new floors where welded in, that was the worst area.
The car came with stock:
H code 3512bbl
FMX transmission
Fold down rear seat
Rear window louvers

what I meant by rolling chassis was just the body itself, along with suspension and rear end(throw an 8in just to get it rolling). I will throw the glass in. The body includes all fenders, hood, truck lid as well.

I wasnt sure if i could get moremoney by doing that and selling misc parts seperate or what. I have everything for the car, except a few interior parts, and other parts to finish it (plugs/wires/battery/good wheels/tires)
Any other information?

To be honest im just trying to get as much money as i can out of this right now, so i can move on.

Heck, enough of this back and forth.

All parts included - disassembled project: $6,000
Rolling Chassis with all glass & sheetmetal - interior and exterior (including hood latch), bumpers, VIN & Title: $3,000

i forgot about dash and steering yes that would go

thanks a lot for the ballpark number, i really appreciate it. it gives me something to work with, since i have never done this before. thanks again thats what i was looking for