I need suspension help 97 cobra?

chrisbudl1

Dec 21, 2003
springfield MO
Ok here is the problem. I just put a prokit, tokico blues combo on my 94 t-bird, and traded it in on a 97 cobra. The main reason for using that setup, was the lack of t-bird specific parts. So my cobra has 98000 miles, and the entire rear end squeaks, or creaks, or both. At first I was thinking of running sportlines, and illumina struts. Then h&r super sports, and kyb adjustables. Then while looking through the latest issue of mm&ff I saw a maroon ish colored cobra in the going back to cali section. The only thing it said was that it was steedaized. Does this mean coilovers? I have gone from no options, to too many. If any of you guys have that issue, or if the owner of the car reads this, what do you think is under that car? I would like to stay away from coilovers, unless I have to get them(install reasons). I wan't it to be low, but not too low that when I launch it just squats on the rear tires. I do plan on using a prochamber if that matters. No airbags, or anything like that. I have read the reviews on suspension, and that really didn't help. Any suggestions? Adjustable struts? Needed or not. I would like to just get used to a suspension, without having to adjust something. But if for the extra money they are worth it then so be it. I need to make a decision quick before I spend the money on something else. I really don't plan on a lot of drag racing, just a sweet road racing setup. I would like to get some new saleen knock offs 18x 10.5 rears in the future if that needs to be considered. PLEASE HELP :shrug: :bang: :shrug: :bang: :shrug: :bang: Thanks, chris

• Sponsors (?)

well I have a 96 with intrax springs, and tokico 5-way struts/shocks. also have subframe connectors mega bite jr. upper and lowers. my car handles great but then again I dont road race but it cuts corners better than my rx-7 did and that car was a handling machine. I would recommend the steeda 5-link set up if you want to road race. I hear coil-overs are the way to go but the choice is up to you. Atleast with coil-overs you can change the ride height fairly easy.
I have Saleen rims and I hate them they are the heaviest rims on the planet...IMO.

Although I do not know what the Cobra you described is running, it sounds like it had the Steeda Package thrown at it. Steeda offers 3 levels of suspension upgrades. You can see these on their website at "steeda.com". They will have a list of what each level consists of and how it will help. I have a '98 cobra with 40k on the clock. I love the handling of my car with its current setup of Steeda Sport Springs, Caster/Camber plates with -1.5 degreees of camber, Strut Tower Brace, HD Rear Swaybar, Alum Lower Control Arms, reinforced Upper Control Arms, and polyureathene bushings. I have KYB struts and shocks at the moment, but will probably change to something better down the road. This setup is great for the twisties in my opinion. I do not autocross so I do not have any times to offer, but it handles a hell of a lot better than stock.

-J-

Get a set of springs & a good set of struts/shocks. Tokico Illuminas are good, Konis are better.

My '97 with H&R street springs:

h-02.jpg

I've used H&R & Eibach, & I prefer the H&R's.

Thanks guys. I guess as of now I'm going to try sportlines and illumina struts and shocks. Does 660 sound good for both? hey pacific green guy, which eibachs did you use. Since we both have the same year & color cobra, did you have to have c.c. plates or anything with your H&R's? If I used those do you think I would have any problems with a prochamber mid pipe( ground clearence)? thanks again. chris

I've only used the H&R's on my Cobra. On my two LX's (90 & 91) I've used the Pro-Kit, the Sportlines, & the Drag Launch springs (the drag springs are still on my '91). I went to H&R's on my '90 convertible & liked them over the Eibachs, which is why I went with them on the '97.

I haven't had cc plates on any of my cars. They're great for added adjustment, but aren't a full-on necessity (unless you make the jump to a coilover setup).

You have to be careful with any lowering spring around speed bumps, that's the only thing that have given me any grief. My '97 scrapes with the stock cat pipe on a good-size speed bump. My '90 smacked them hard enough (with my wife driving) to smack the cats on that car's Bassani X pipe to the point where the honeycomb material came apart & I had to gut them. Just be careful.