I See The Light!

Black1987

my wife Bedazzled my input shaft
15 Year Member
Jan 9, 2011
NC
So I have an Accel Ignition Coil and Motorcraft wires.

It is a really clear, dark night here, had the car running and I can see the light in the wires.

Ummm guys

• Sponsors (?)

So I have an Accel Ignition Coil and Motorcraft wires.

It is a really clear, dark night here, had the car running and I can see the light in the wires.

Ummm guys
You are seeing corona effect.

Corona effect, also known as Corona discharge, is a relatively rare phenomenon that can cause a glow on spark plug wires.

This event (visible in the dark) appears as a bluish-white glow around the spark plug wires, and may branch between wires or to an engine ground surface. Corona discharge does not necessarily indicate a problem with the spark plug wires but is more likely a maintenance or installation issue. This discharge is virtually silent as compared to the 'snapping' noise heard when a wire is actually leaking high voltage.

The cause of Corona discharge is the ionization (making conductive) of the surrounding air. Ionization releases electrons from the oxygen molecules and the resultant energy release creates photons (light) to be produced. This ionization is caused by the presence of large voltage differentials pulsing in the wire.

Certain contaminants on the jacket of a spark plug wire can enhance the liklihood of this phenomenon to appear, such as accumulation of oil or grease, dirt or paint overspray. Spark plug wire routing will also have an effect. If spark plug wires are allowed to touch an engine ground surface or if they are bundled together tightly, the chance of Corona discharge is greater. Alternate fuel vehicles, such as propane or natural gas powered, can see increased liklihood of Corona discharge as well. Residual vapors from these fuels cause easier ionization of the surrounding air.

To minimize the chance of Corona discharge, spark plug wires should be kept relatively clean and free of noticeable amounts of contaminants. Spark plug wires should also never rub against metal engine parts such as valve covers. Proper loom clips should be used to separate plug wires. Avoid bundling wires together with cable ties

Reactions: 2 users

Corona effect, also known as Corona discharge, is a relatively rare phenomenon that can cause a glow on spark plug wires.

This event (visible in the dark) appears as a bluish-white glow around the spark plug wires, and may branch between wires or to an engine ground surface. Corona discharge does not necessarily indicate a problem with the spark plug wires but is more likely a maintenance or installation issue. This discharge is virtually silent as compared to the 'snapping' noise heard when a wire is actually leaking high voltage.

The cause of Corona discharge is the ionization (making conductive) of the surrounding air. Ionization releases electrons from the oxygen molecules and the resultant energy release creates photons (light) to be produced. This ionization is caused by the presence of large voltage differentials pulsing in the wire.

Certain contaminants on the jacket of a spark plug wire can enhance the liklihood of this phenomenon to appear, such as accumulation of oil or grease, dirt or paint overspray. Spark plug wire routing will also have an effect. If spark plug wires are allowed to touch an engine ground surface or if they are bundled together tightly, the chance of Corona discharge is greater. Alternate fuel vehicles, such as propane or natural gas powered, can see increased liklihood of Corona discharge as well. Residual vapors from these fuels cause easier ionization of the surrounding air.

To minimize the chance of Corona discharge, spark plug wires should be kept relatively clean and free of noticeable amounts of contaminants. Spark plug wires should also never rub against metal engine parts such as valve covers. Proper loom clips should be used to separate plug wires. Avoid bundling wires together with cable ties
See I have seen this effect on the plug to the engine, but I could clearly see the coil wire. It was kind of neat, but was worrisome. Appreciate the response

Not sure if you wrote that or C&P'd it. But still interesting.

Corona effect..lol
upload_2016-10-13_15-10-45.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
I used to give my Golden retriever buds and Round table pizza! He loved that combo, but my wife used to yell at both of us when we came home stumbling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
So I took back the wires today and Im just getting the Ford Racing like I should of. The motorcraft were the same length go figure.

I had to return the Accel Coil too due to the discount I got with the order. It worked great though

This is my buddy and came with me. Advance Auto allows dogs

IMG_2310.JPG

He's precious, whats his name? Got to love a smiling dog. My golden smiled all the time, that's what they do !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brody Rex, I was at my sister's farm and he was the last of the litter. Jumped in my truck with my lab and never left