i wanna lose some weight!

stangman said:
no way is it as strong as the stocker. waaaay too much mass difference in the two to be the same strength. although the tubular one is very strong.

stock_kmember.jpg

new_kmember.jpg

actually this is not correct, don't get angry ,the factory unit is made to absorb an impact . its design is structured for a frontal crash , tubular metals are much stronger but don't have the give of flat or boxed metal. Think of it this way if factory steel was better or stronger John Force would be still be using it. And stock cars would be stock as well.

• Sponsors (?)

white96blown2v said:
actually this is not correct, don't get angry ,the factory unit is made to absorb an impact . its design is structured for a frontal crash , tubular metals are much stronger but don't have the give of flat or boxed metal. Think of it this way if factory steel was better or stronger John Force would be still be using it. And stock cars would be stock as well.

ok let me rephrase. the tubular piece is definately stronger pound for pound. but the stock piece is going to hold up better in a crash, just like you explained. which was the point i was trying to get across, i just worded it wrong :nice:

stangman said:
ok let me rephrase. the tubular piece is definately stronger pound for pound. but the stock piece is going to hold up better in a crash, just like you explained. which was the point i was trying to get across, i just worded it wrong :nice:

your member is sexy... k member that is

tubular is stronger... thats why tubular A arms and tubular chassies dont flex and stuff... and actually if you wreck, the body is going to bend before the k member does so i wouldnt really be worried about it

and how does a coilover kit save weight? if it does it cant be that much, but still coilovers are a good idea even if not for weight, and you're gonna need them with a tubular k member

It saves weight becase the stock A arms are HUGE. You can even see how big they are in that pic in pg 1. They are kidof in the back ground. Like said, all of that should get a good 60LBS or 4 "stones" off of the front of your car....nothing worse than carrying around 4 extra stones under your hood LOL.

ive taken about 90 lbs off the gt so far, and i can feel a difference. its not huge, but the car does definatly feel more peppy. it can mostly be felt once the car is moving, it seems to excelerate faster.

im hoping to lose about another 90 pounds with some mods im planning for next year. :nice:

hotmustang331 said:
It saves weight becase the stock A arms are HUGE. You can even see how big they are in that pic in pg 1. They are kidof in the back ground. Like said, all of that should get a good 60LBS or 4 "stones" off of the front of your car....nothing worse than carrying around 4 extra stones under your hood LOL.

well thats weight from the A arms, not coilovers.... but i guess thats what you mean, or whoever said that meant heh

ADRENLN said:
ive taken about 90 lbs off the gt so far, and i can feel a difference. its not huge, but the car does definatly feel more peppy. it can mostly be felt once the car is moving, it seems to excelerate faster.

im hoping to lose about another 90 pounds with some mods im planning for next year. :nice:
what did you do to lose 90 lbs?

I personally removed the A/C (wasn't working anyway) and the swaybar, gutted the trunk, removed the backseat / passenger seat and replaced the driver's seat by a manual seat. Went from [email protected] to [email protected]. Later that day, I went 13.88@91 lifting 150' before the line to avoid breaking out. Bet I could've run 13.7X... :( You CAN tell the difference when driving on the street !!

If you can't notice the difference a passenger makes, you need your SOTP recalibrated :)

DerekStangGT said:
actually, the general rule of thumb is ~10rwhp=.01 in the 1/4 and every 100 lbs lost=.01 in the 1/4. i would love to be able to shave 100lbs off the stang, but that won't happen w/o major work. what i was just looking for were little things i could do to make the GT feel a little peppier.

I sure hope you meant TENTHS of a second.... and not hundredths...

Unless you think adding 500HP to your car would only shave off half a second.
:shrug:

You need to create proper weight balance first, expensive but effective - Tubular K-member, coil-over, and A arms. IRS. (you'll be adding weight with the IRS yeah)

If you haven't taken out your stock cd deck then do so, also one of the stock amps is underneith. There's also a metal plate under the steering wheel shaft that weighs a pound or so that can be removed. Removing the power seat motor is worth around 15lbs.