IAC question

NRM90GT

Nov 27, 2005
Boston
On my engine there is a plate between the idle control motor and throttle body which i have used to adjust the idle speed with its two screws.. this has gotten to be a pain in the but due to stripped threads on the screws. On another intake that i bought, there is no plate between the idle conrol motor and TB. So i guess my question is does the engine idle ok without this plate, and would i be better off getting rid of it and just going with the IAC motor bolted straight to the TB?
Thanks for the help

• Sponsors (?)

I had bought that part to "band aid" my cam problem. Of course it didnt help my cause and was a waste of money. IMO I would throw it out and do some fine tuning before I messed with the plate. I might be biased because it didnt work for me. Its funny that Ford sells this plate and in there instructions it is a quicky fix for a sludged up throttle body. Rather than clean the affected part they invent a plate that will fix that problem.:shrug:

i have used it to re-adjust the idle speed after the injector swap, cam swap, and engine rebuild where new heads were installed, and it has worked great, but i am going to need a new one soon due to wear. is there any other way to adjust, the idle? If i throw this plate away will the ecu auto adust the idle with just the iac motor alone?

Changing the TPS voltage and setting "warm" base idle seems to help more than the idle adjust plate. I did metion I was biased correct, ok , I would remove and clean the IAC and reset TPS voltage for starters. Debates will come soon about final numbers on both of these items. The IAC when working correctly will adjust and compensate for idle fluctuations. I would in your case at least try not using the plate and see what happens. Its worth the shot of not buying another plate. It is up to you at that point what is easier to do. Look into why its not idleing or just buy another plate.Search this forum for tons of info on this subject.

In the way you phrased things in your first post, you realize this is an aftermarket part, right (Adjustable idle air bypass plate)? You can buy a new one for like 15 bucks new.

One thing I find interesting is that on 5N95's, Ford made a bleed screw (like the auxillary bypass plate accomplishes) integral to the IAC. I have played with it and it's kind of annoying. :p

Isn't that the way to help people with their idle who have power adders or something like that, allowing them to set it to a lower idle? I think I read that somewhere, I guess they use either that or grind out a small groove in the iac, is that right? Just trying to get some knowledge here as well

well, my car idled ok, cold idle was good, when warm it sometimes tried to stall when coming to a stop, and when warm, if you turned it off, then restarted it within 20 mins, it would idle real crappy for a minute or two. None of these a big issue, but out of curiosity, tonight i removed the IAC bypass plate, reset the idle stop screw and TPS, and all those little issues seem to be gone. doesnt smell as rich at idle either.