Idiot of the day!

old_blue

15 Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
well, I got my on the ground finally. Just finished my 5 lug conversion about 2 weeks ago but work kept me really busy so I didn't get a chance to bleed the brakes and hook up the sway bar. So today I button it all up and fire it up to take it on a test drive. Well, I tried to back it out of my garage but it didn't want to move. Of course being the big strong guy I am I just rev it up a little and it starts to move. I get it in the drive way and put it in neutral (5 spd) and release the brake..... car does not roll back down a drive way ..... hmmmmm, so at this point I am thinking a rotor is locked up (all used) or something to that effect. I pull it forward jack up the rear and secure it with jack stands. Put in 1st and the tires roll fairly easily...... jack up the right front tire...... tire does not spin at alll.... I loosen all the lug nuts while the tire is off the ground (not a good sign) I get to the last one and as soon as I break it free the tire spins..... (yeah I was thinking WTF as well). so I tighten the lug nuts a little and the tire locks up again. I take the tire all the way off and start to inspect the rotor only to find a groove on the back side that is about 1/2 inch wide all the way around.... (about the size of a bolt)... YEP!!! you guessed it, some how one of the caliper bracket bolts got mistaken for a longer bolt and that longer bolt is now grinding on the back of my brand new rotor....... So, now I have to get that rotor turned and put it all back together. If anyone in the phoenix area of az needs someone to put on a 5 lug conversion.... I can do it blind folded. LOL! sorry this is long and hope I didn't bore too many of ya. Til next time
Old Blue

• Sponsors (?)

Old-Blue, I don't need a five-lug conversion done but I do live near you. I checked out your cardomain site and I was at that Goodguys car show too. I picked up a 4" Cervini's cowl for $250!! Saw that Mustang too. You ever go cruising or go up to pavs? Got more pics of your car?

Main seal- Ouch, that couldn't have been fun at all. Now I can't seem to figure out why my brake lights are always on and when I pull up on the pedal the push trips. I put in a new brake light switch too...

91lxttrim said:
Old-Blue, I don't need a five-lug conversion done but I do live near you. I checked out your cardomain site and I was at that Goodguys car show too. I picked up a 4" Cervini's cowl for $250!! Saw that Mustang too. You ever go cruising or go up to pavs? Got more pics of your car?

nice find on the cowl. I have never been to pavs. I got my mustang a few months ago from my parents (it was in california while I got settled here last year). Pretty much took it apart and put on the 5 lug conversion. I got more pics but i haven't uploaded them yet. Probably tomorrow. My car is dirty as all hell as it has been sitting in the garage for the past few months. I need to figure out the brake light problem then get it aligned before I take it anywhere. The pedal doesn't feel firm either so I may have to bleed it again. but all in all I am happy with it.

got done /w the brakes once... went to roll out and car didn't want to move. Wasn't sure if I had tighted the drum brakes down too much... gave it a little gas, heard a *SNAP*

The plastic wedges I used for blocking the tires were still back there... i crushed one when the car spit it out the front.