if air gets into my brakes system

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think people usually do it at all, but I just do it for good measure since I at one time had spony brakes. I was told awhile back that you were supposed to do it first if you did. Maybe I'm wrong....it wouldn't be the first time. haha

It really doesn't matter ... I usually do RR, LR, RF, LF, MC (if pedal is still spongy)

Before you move past RR, make sure that the fluid doesn't have any air coming out. THEN go to the next one. And honestly, if you are trying to do it with a hand pump, it's wayyyyy more difficult. I struggled for like two hours with a good suction pump that I have ... got nowhere. Had a friend pump them mugs, the old fashioned way, worked in like 10 minutes.

The vaccum pulls the fluid (simulating pressing the brakes) but in my experience there is no better way than to have someone actually pump the fluid by pumping the brakes.

Just remember to keep fluid in the MC. Check it after each wheel to be safe.

I did a lot of searching around on this when I did my 13" brake install, and the overwhelming majority agree:

Ford HD fluid ($3/bottle)
Bleed MC, firewall side bleeder first

Bleed in order of furthest to closest calipers
Pass. Rear , Driver Rear, Driver Front, Pass. Front.

And you're going to have to do a LOT of bleeding to overcome running it dry..

The MC really should be bench bled, but you can do it on the car if there was some fluid in there already. It's a 10mm bleeder on the passenger side of the MC. Stick a hose over the bleeder and bleed the fluid into a container. I always use a clear hose so that you can visibly see the air and when it has stopped.

You must bleed the MC first before you bleed the calipers so that the piston inside the MC can deliver normal braking pressure to the calipers.

Thanks, those 2 posts helped immensely!

Except triggz, i believe its
RR, LR, RF, LF

The front drivers side would be last :).

Just so I'm clear:
the bleeder closest to the firewall.
I put a clear hose over it
pour fluid
open up the screw
have a friend pump it once, and leave foot to the floor?
close it then he lets off the pedal, and repeat?

Thanks, those 2 posts helped immensely!

Except triggz, i believe its
RR, LR, RF, LF

The front drivers side would be last :).

Just so I'm clear:
the bleeder closest to the firewall.
I put a clear hose over it
pour fluid
open up the screw
have a friend pump it once, and leave foot to the floor?
close it then he lets off the pedal, and repeat?

Almost :) You want to leave the bleeder screw closed at first. At first they might not have much pedal until you do a few bleeds, but after they do...have your buddy pump the pedal about 4-5 times and then have him/her hold the pedal as firmly as they can. Then crack the bleeder open just a little until your buddy gives you a signal that the pedal went to the floor. Then immediately close the bleeder.

Repeat over and over until you don't see any bubbles or air coming out of the rear bleeder.

Yeah, you'd do the MC the same way.

Here's the easiest procedural way to go about the bleeding. Have an assistant sit in the drivers seat and push the brake 3 times and then hold (pressure on the brake pedal) ... So go like "One, Two, Three, Hold" .. Then, crack the bleeder open and have your assistant say "down" or "stop" when their foot touches the floor (maybe a little before) and then you close the bleeder.

So pump, pump, pump, hold ... crack the bleeder for like 2 seconds .. assistant says "down" or "stop" and you quickly close the bleeder. The goal is to have a solid stream of brake fluid coming out of the bleeder (no air bubbles). So keep doing the process until each wheel and the MC do not have air bubbles in the fluid. Remember to keep re-filling the MC as you go so it doesn't run dry again.

It's going to take some time, be patient and use whatever method you like ... I just thought I'd tell you how I do the procedure so you understand completely. Know what I mean?

Good luck. :)